Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Easy-to-use audio CD image creator + burner (Read 18068 times) previous topic - next topic

Easy-to-use audio CD image creator + burner

Reply #25
The solution seems pretty obvious to me: dump wmal.
If you have a solution to the stated requirements except using some lossless alternative to WMA lossess, please do present it. Thanks.

Reply #26
I've now found ImgBurn Write mode "Create CUE file" will accept an M3U, but that's of little use since that mode won't write an image to HD file.

FTR, confirmed here http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtop...mp;#entry142198.

The same inability of CDburnerXP confirmed here https://forum.cdburnerxp.se/index.php?/topi...ile/#entry34149 .

Reply #27
Dynamic

foobar2000 is freeware. Install with default choices should do or can run as a portable install. No need to accept any file type associations.
[...]
• Click File/Load Playlist (or drag m3u file onto foobar2000 to Load it)
• Use the right mouse button to click the playlist title (the tab at the top of the playlist) to bring up the menu of actions to perform on that playlist
• On the menu, left-click the item at the bottom called "Playlist Name" Contents > Then in that sub-menu click on Convert > then in that sub-menu near the bottom click Write Audio CD...

Thanks, but Write Audio CD option is missing on the latest version here (Windows XP):

Any ideas?

Reply #28
Why is it required that an m3u file be used instead of a cue sheet?  m3u files are intended to be playlists, whereas a cue sheet is intended to store information in order to aid in burning discs.

This is just like people insisting upon using cue sheets as playlists, but the other way around.

Reply #29
> Why is it required that an m3u file be used instead of a cue sheet?

There's no such requirement, but there is a requirement for M3U because that's the only format the source is in. I'm happy to convert from M3U to CUE if there's a solution that requires it, but no such solution has yet been proposed.  If none exists, I'd settle for a near solution that goes from M3U+WMAs to not an audio image file but instead BIN file + CUE file.

If you have either (solution) please do say. Thanks.

Reply #30
I already gave you a sensible solution along with the others that were already provided.

The burning program should dictate the helper file (e.g.: .cue, .m3u, .nrg) and the format. Not sure why you're now considering a raw, uncompressed binary format.  Frankly it sounds more and more that these specifications are just arbitrary.

Reply #31
I'm puzzled as to why this is still being discussed. If the CD had been mailed 17 days ago when this thread was started, wouldn't it be there by now?

Reply #32
I already gave you a sensible solution
I guess you're referring to "FWIW, I'd use ALAC". Thanks, but that doesn't meet the stated requirements for an audio CD image file. ALAC is not an audio CD image format.

Not sure why you're now considering a raw, uncompressed binary format.

BIN+CUE was suggested here.

Reply #33
WMAL doesn't satisfy the requirements of being an image file either!

Again, your "requirements" do not give the appearance of being very well thought-through.

At this point I'll toss wave+cue into the mix with which you can use any number of burning programs.  Since I don't recall EAC and burrrn being mentioned, I will mention them now. Please don't be daft and say that wave is not an audio cd image file.

FWIW, burrrn can easily handle a few lossless formats, including flac.

Reply #34
WMAL doesn't satisfy the requirements of being an image file either!
I have not suggested otherwise. The requirements are for a program that will convert/burn M3U+WMAL to an audio CD image file.

Again, your "requirements" do not give the appearance of being very well thought-through.
WMAL is a requirement because the source data is in WMAL format only. I am happy to convert it to any other format that allows a solution.

At this point I'll toss wave+cue into the mix with which you can use any number of burning programs.
Can you suggest a program that will go from M3U+WMAL to wave+cue, and from wave+cue to CD?

Reply #35
Foobar2000 with the foo-burninate component added.

Reply #36
For wmal+m3u -> single-file image+cue use foobar2000. You can convert to wave but if you're transferring then I'd go with a compressed format that is compatible with your burning software unless the recipient can handle the decompression. If that is the case then I'd probably go with TAK which has a GUI that is trivial to use.

I am not up to date with all the burning programs and what formats they can handle beyond what has already been mentioned.  If foobar2000 can burn CDs then it should be able to do so from TAK as well as flac or something else such as wavpack.

Reply #37
Thanks both - I'll try foobar2000 with foo-burninate .

Reply #38
Dynamic
Thanks, but Write Audio CD option is missing on the latest version here (Windows XP):

Any ideas?

Sorry I've not been on the forums for a few days. NickC has reminded me that foo_burninate is required, so I thought I'd explicitly link his reply to your question to me. I had misremembered it as being a default component rather than an optional one.

If you don't want to make your user install foobar2000 and foo_burninate, though, using the Right-click\Convert\... to create FLAC image + CUE at your end and using burrrn as greynol suggests to write the CD at the other end is probably a fine option too, though not one I'm familiar with as I don't have a remote user with such needs.

If you want to put the workload at your end, here's my approach:
I don't think fb2k will generate a CUE sheet from your m3u file, so personally, I know it'll work going through CUETools to create a CUE from a bunch of inidividual files. I'll also assume that your track number tags are not necessarily defining the order you want on the finished CD, so you need to make new track numbers, but don't want to overwrite the tagging of your existing WMAL files.

This is how I'd do it:
Start foobar2000
Load Playlist
Right click on "playlist name" tab, click on "playlist name" contents, Convert, ...
In the new dialogue window use:
Output Format: FLAC (level 5 default will be fine), then hit Back
Destination: Choose whatever empty folder you like, or set "Ask me later", then choose "Convert each track to an individual file", and set Name format: to
%list_index% - %title% - %artist%
hit Back
If you need to, check the Processing dialogue or Other dialogue, hit Back
Finally hit "Convert" to run the conversion.
Now load all the newly converted FLAC files into a new playlist (or File/Add Folder...) and check the track order is correct.
Right click on "New playlist" tab, click on "New playlist" contents, Tagging \ Manage Scripts...
In the Masstagger window clear any existing Actions to perform, then Add \ Auto Track Number... and hit Run to renumber the track_number tags for the new disc you're compiling in the correct order they're displayed in fb2k's New playlist.

You'll then have a load of flacs numbered in the playlist order, but otherwise tagged as your WMAL files were, while your WMAL files will remain unaltered.

Run CUETools
Select 'convert' from the pull down menu (top left)
Drag the folder containing your FLACs to CUETools or Select All and Drag the music from foobar2000 onto CUETools.
Set Template to something like: %music%\MyCDFLAC
Action: Encode
Mode: Embedded
You can deselect the three metadata icons (MusicBrainz, freedb, AccurateRip)
Audio Output: Lossless, flac, libFLAC is fine, so is compression strength 5 or 6.
Finally, hit Go to create your Image.flac and Image.cue or Image.flac with embedded CUE.

When done, you can delete the folder of separate FLACs.

The CUEsheet (embedded or separate) will contain track number, TITLE and PERFORMER plus equivalent Disc information, presumably the sort of thing that would be nice to get written as CD-TEXT. if supported.

Burrrn supports CD-TEXT (Settings, Writer) and seems to work from an embedded CUE in a FLAC image. Like most of the programs out there it just doesn't support WMALossless natively. Simply use Add to load the image FLAC and hit the Burrrn button.
Dynamic – the artist formerly known as DickD

Reply #39
It isn't that foobar2000 converts an m3u to cue, it generates a cue when you tell it to construct a single-file image from individual tracks which may or may nor have been loaded via an m3u playlist.

Reply #40
It isn't that foobar2000 converts an m3u to cue, it generates a cue when you tell it to construct a single-file image from individual tracks which may or may nor have been loaded via an m3u playlist.

Ah, my problem was I was asking for a single file, Image.flac, but I had to choose Generate Multi-Track files and specify a single filename such as ImageCD, as mentioned in the other thread. That's the trouble with doing this so rarely. Understanding which method to use when the fact only that mode generates an embedded CUE is not mentioned isn't quite as intuitive as I'd remembered.

Thanks for pointing me to that everybody.

This completely saves using CUETools. I don't suppose I can edit my prior post and swap the reference to Single File image, which will not produce a CUE sheet.

Reply #41
To correct my previous version:

This is how I'd do it:
Start foobar2000
Load Playlist
Right click on "playlist name" tab, click on "playlist name" contents, Convert, ...
Destination: Choose whatever empty folder you like, or set "Ask me later", then choose "Generate Multi-Track files", and set Name format anything that produces just one file, e.g. just type ImageCD
hit Back

The CUEsheet (embedded) will contain track number, TITLE and PERFORMER plus equivalent Disc information, presumably the sort of thing that would be nice to get written as CD-TEXT. if supported.

Burrrn supports CD-TEXT (Settings, Writer) and works from an embedded CUE in a FLAC image. Simply use Add (or drag-and-drop) to load the image FLAC, which will display as multiple tracks, and hit the Burrrn button.

Reply #42
Dynamic,

> If you don't want to make your user install foobar2000 and foo_burninate, though

I'd rather avoid it, since my user is on XP where foo_burninate requires a MS IMAPI install.

> using the Right-click\Convert\... to create FLAC image + CUE at your end and using burrrn as greynol suggests to write the CD at the other end is probably a fine option too
> I don't think fb2k will generate a CUE sheet from your m3u file, so personally, I know it'll work going through CUETools ...

Fortunately here it does create a .FLAC having embedded cue sheet, so it looks like I won't need your CUETools receipe.

The only snag is blank album title (presumably because my tracks are from different albums) and I see no way in Convert to set it e.g. to the playlist name, or a literal string. If that's a problem, I'll try CUEtools to retouch the sheet.

Many thanks.

> Burrrn supports CD-TEXT (Settings, Writer) and seems to work from an embedded CUE in a FLAC image.

Burrrn certainly loads the info here, but fails to burn on my Plextor PX-755A ("Invalid argument.  : scsi sendcmd: fatal error"). ImgBurn gives an error on loading the .FLAC, and CDBurnerXP fails to read the Title and Artist/Performer. Can you suggest any other straight-install (ideally portable) burner that works with .FLAC having embedded cue sheet?

Reply #43
I would also add that embedding a cue sheet is optional otherwise you may give the false impression that it is necessary.  FWIW, I still use an old version of foobar2000 which gives a separate cue sheet, in case embedding it is now the default behavior or is the current behavior and is not changeable.

EDIT:
I posted the above not seeing crisjj's reply.  After viewing the reply I have this to add:
Regarding burrrn, I was afraid there would be compatibility problems and was a bit reluctant to mention it because of this.

Reply #44
embedding a cue sheet is optional
Assuming you mean optional in foobar200 Convert,  can you tell me where I can find the option that I should use to ensure I get an embedded cue sheet? Thanks.

Reply #45
I said it because burrrn doesn't require it and and it's possible that other programs won't even support it.  With the version of foobar2000 that I use (an maybe it's still the case), embedding a cue sheet is an extra hoop to jump through.

Reply #46
>>>  I would also add that embedding a cue sheet is optional
> I said it because burrrn doesn't require it

Ah, OK. Note though that foobar2000 Convert seems to offer no option of UNembedded cue sheet

With the version of foobar2000 that I use (an maybe it's still the case), embedding a cue sheet is an extra hoop to jump through.

With the current version, V1.1.13, it is automatic on Convert to FLAC "(*) Generate Multi-Track files". In fact, I see no option to turn it off.

Reply #48
I thought you were creating a single audio file containing multiple tracks.

I am. Despite the labelling, Generate Multi-Track files does that - provided I enter a track-constant value in Name format & grouping pattern:.

That's the only way I can find to get a single file including cue sheet. The more obvious Merge all tracks into one output file does not create a cue sheet.

Reply #49
Start foobar2000
Load Playlist
Destination: Choose whatever empty folder you like, or set "Ask me later", then choose "Generate Multi-Track files", and set Name format anything that produces just one file, e.g. just type ImageCD
hit Back

The CUEsheet (embedded) will contain track number, TITLE and PERFORMER plus equivalent Disc information, presumably the sort of thing that would be nice to get written as CD-TEXT. if supported.

Burrrn supports CD-TEXT (Settings, Writer) and works from an embedded CUE in a FLAC image. Simply use Add (or drag-and-drop) to load the image FLAC, which will display as multiple tracks, and hit the Burrrn button.

Thanks Dynamic, that's working fine.

Except for the snag of blank album TITLE (presumably because my tracks are from different albums). I see no way in Convert to set it e.g. to the playlist name, or a literal string. CUEtools offers no option I can see to retouch the sheet. Can you suggest a fix/workaround?