Skip to main content
Topic: foobar2000 on Intel Microsoft Surface (Read 4752 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 on Intel Microsoft Surface

I know the Surface is still essentially vaporware, but... just imagine. A truly portable version of foobar2000.
Plug in my 1TB USB drive, access my entire music collection in my favourite music player, wherever I am.

Never thought I'd want a Microsoft tablet or phone - I'm the guy running foobar out of Windows in VMware on a MacBook Pro! - but this has got me thinking, that's for sure.

The future: just around the corner.

Reply #1
If you're talking about that Surface tablet they just showed off, then it will require porting foobar2000 to ARM and also designing a Metro user interface, as Windows RT (the ARM version of Windows 8, not to be confused with WinRT, the new programming API) will not support any arbitrary desktop applications. In fact, word is, the only legacy desktop applications it will support are the Microsoft Office suite.

Reply #2
the surface tablet is supposed to come in two version...one with an ARM cpu...the other one has an x86...supposedly an ivy bridge i5...so, porting is not necessarily needed...

Reply #3
Yup kode54, that's why my subject line said "Intel Microsoft Surface" 

Reply #5
In regard to the designlines of Microsoft how metro apps should be designed foobar2000 isn't eligible to be ported as app: it is to functional and equipped with too many features, so it really doesn't make sense.

What would on the side would be a better idea is to port the boom audio player. Considering the target group and simplicity of this player a metro implementation would keep its basic principles and philosophy to point. Such a boom app would be a good player on each device: tablet, pc and even on tv (connected with pc) since metro is easy to control with a little keyboard and few shortcuts.

for whom who are interested in metro: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/BUILD/BUIL...S-1004#comments

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019