Skip to main content

Topic: XLD vs iTunes: What is the best ripper? (Read 5068 times) previous topic - next topic

• Antigen
  • [*][*][*]
XLD vs iTunes: What is the best ripper?
Hi,

I know that here most of the people love quality sound and quality rip.

My question is simple:

- Do you think that a CD ripped with XLD will "sound" better than the iTunes (with correction error) ripped version?

Mosto of the people tell me that iTunes is a worse CD ripper and the best solution is the use of XLD or EAC and after that convert the file to the desired format (mp3, ogg, aac...)

True?

• Ouroboros
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #1
You seem to be missing the point in so many of your posts - or maybe it's a language translation problem.

The choice of ripper has nothing to do with "sounding better" - the sound is the same regardless of the ripper, provided that the rip is accurate. However, iTunes doesn't let you know if a rip has errors and provides no mechanism for independent checking, whereas EAC / dBPoweramp / XLD all give you feedback, and they give you the opportunity for AccurateRip checking, so you can decide if your rip is a good one.

Edit: Corrected to reflect the fact that XLD also supports AccurateRip. Every day's a school day.
  • Last Edit: 14 June, 2012, 08:01:08 AM by Ouroboros

• Antigen
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #2
Ok, but I think that XLD and other ripper as EAC can assure more reliability with an error proof engine.

If I have a CD and I will rip:

- With XLD/EAC----> I'm sure that if the log give me a 100 % quality, I have a 1:1 lossless copy

- With iTunes-----> The result can be 1:1 the CD, but not sure, and the error correction can deteriorate the quality

P.S: XLD use AccurateRip to give more accuracy
  • Last Edit: 14 June, 2012, 07:31:23 AM by Antigen

• JJZolx
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
and (apart from XLD) they give you the opportunity for AccurateRip checking

XLD also supports AccurateRip.

http://www.accuraterip.com/software.htm

• db1989
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #4
XLD provides much better options to ensure an accurate rip.

But only highly inaccurate rips are going to sound ‘worse’, and it’ll probably be not a subtle difference but a blatantly obvious one.

• Porcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
OP might want to look at the features here: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...n_of_CD_rippers

OTOH, iTunes I think detects pre-emphasis and XLD doesn't, but I am not sure.

• Antigen
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #6
Pre-Emphasis?

But exist today some CD with pre-emphasis?

I know that only a few CD of 1989-1990 use it.
  • Last Edit: 15 June, 2012, 03:59:43 AM by Antigen

• db1989
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #7
It’s not common, but it’s not impossible to find either. You may want to search for previous discussions here; I think some people have reported finding CDs of their own with FLAGS PRE set.

Anyway, you needn’t worry: in response to Porcus, XLD supports writing FLAGS PRE to the output cuesheet since late 2009.

• Antigen
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #8
In conclusion XLD support pre-emphasis and rip all the "data" of a CD audio