Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [useless/zealotry] From: WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadat (Read 1233 times) previous topic - next topic

[useless/zealotry] From: WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadat

The following question to Tim is perhaps not directly related to WMP Tag Plus...

By default WMP loads M4A tracks into the "Other Media" folder. And in WMP Tag Plus you did some magic to persuade WMP that M4A files shall be loaded into the "Music" folder instead.

And also by default WMP loads AIFF tracks into the "Other Media" folder too. This is odd, because WMP can in fact natively play AIFF tracks. So my question is how would one apply the same magic that you used on M4A files to persuade WMP also that AIFF files shall be loaded into the "Music" folder?

Why do you need to use AIFF?

Originally (along time ago in a galaxy far, far away) there was a justification in that originally WMP could play AIFF but could not play ALAC and if you wanted to share lossless music between iTunes and WMP then it was probably your only choice of format. However I spent a lot of time finding a way to get WMP to play ALAC which it now does perfectly and thanks to Tim now even reads the embedded artwork. (Yes I am the person who came up with the solution that lead to the ALAC directshow filter for WMP.)

As ALAC is also lossless and therefore identical audio quality to AIFF but has better meta-tag support, smaller file size, and wider support by hardware and software I can no longer see any real need to consider AIFF, or WAV, or FLAC for that matter. By the way to open-source fascists, ALAC is now officially open-source itself. See http://alac.macosforge.org/

I have my entire library in ALAC, it can play in WMP, iTunes (duh!), Windows Media Center, XBMC, VLC, Foobar 2000, WinAmp, dbPowerAmp, etc., and on devices from Sonos, Roku, Logitech and Apple (duh!). It can even be auto downscaled to AAC during syncing to iPod, iPhone, etc. devices without having to keep two copies.

If Microsoft had any sense they would add built-in support for ALAC to Windows 8 (or WMP 13 or whatever) which they can now easily do since ALAC is now open-source.

[useless/zealotry] From: WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadat

Reply #2
Appreciating functionality ≠ having to use it. Your monologue contributes nothing. This is not helped by your zealotry both for ALAC and against OSS (“fascists”, really? people still say that? ).