Skip to main content
Topic: Multichannel FLAC to MP3 conversion (Read 2953 times) previous topic - next topic

Multichannel FLAC to MP3 conversion

I have a couple of FLAC files I got from HDTracks that are 4 channel audio as seen in the Properties window. They are also 96k if that makes any difference. I can convert them to WAV format, but when converting to MP3 (which doesn't support 4 channel) I get the following error data. Is there a tool or addin or setting I would need to convert the 4 channel FLAC to MP3?

Source: "C:\T5\JS Bach(CCBS) - Jesu Joy Of Man's Desiring.flac"
  An error occurred while writing to file (The encoder has terminated prematurely with code 1 (0x00000001); please re-check parameters) : "C:\t5\JS Bach(CCBS) - Jesu Joy Of Man's Desiring.mp3"
  Additional information:
  Encoder stream format: 96000Hz / 4ch / 24bps
  Command line: "C:\Utilz\lame.exe" -S --noreplaygain -b 320 - "JS Bach(CCBS) - Jesu Joy Of Man's Desiring.mp3"
  Working folder: C:\t5\
  Conversion failed: The encoder has terminated prematurely with code 1 (0x00000001); please re-check parameters

Reply #1
Not sure if you need to convert to Stereo first as MP3 can't handle 4 channels.
Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10

Reply #2
Not sure if you need to convert to Stereo first as MP3 can't handle 4 channels.

I've only been searching Foobar, and Google in general for about 4 hours, just trying to see how I can convert to 2-channel without buying yet another $30 converter. It would be nice to have options on whether to combine channels or just drop the rear channels, but at this point any way at all to get from 4 channel to 2 channel would be good.

Reply #3
I have a couple of FLAC files I got from HDTracks that are 4 channel audio as seen in the Properties window. They are also 96k if that makes any difference. I can convert them to WAV format, but when converting to MP3 (which doesn't support 4 channel) I get the following error data. Is there a tool or addin or setting I would need to convert the 4 channel FLAC to MP3?

MP3s are not multichannel and won't handle it; hence the error. What you want to do is achievable via foobar, but I have one question. Must it be to MP3? The reason I ask is there are other lossy encoders that support multichannel, such as AAC and Vorbis. However, I realize that those codecs aren't universally supported and that even if they are, multichannel may not be.

Anyway, to do what you want you'll need to downmix your 4 channel audio to stereo before it's sent to the lame encoder. I'll give you a "quick and dirty" way to do it.

You'll need a component capable of downmixing to stereo. There are more than one with this capability, but I suggest Channel Mixer which can be downloaded here.
After installing it, select the items to convert as you normally would and open the Converter Setup dialog.
Configure Output Format and Destination as you usually do.
Next is Processing and this is where you'll need to add and configure Channel Mixer.
Once you've opened Processing, you'll need to add Channel Mixer to the list of "Active DSPs" from the list of "Available DSPs".
After adding it, click the "Configure selected" button which will open Channel Mixer's settings.
Under the General tab, select "2" in the Output channels dropdown list.
Now click on the Downmix tab. The sliders there are for volume. For the first encoding though, I'd say leave them set where they are and click "OK". (Your audio has 4 channels, but we don't know what those four channels are. It's likely 4.0 but could be 3.1. All I can really suggest here is that you do multiple encodings with the sliders in different positions until you get a result you're happy with).
Click "Back" to exit Processing and return to the Converter Setup dialog.
Click "Convert" and you're finished (for now anyway  )

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020