Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Windows 7 shows blank/default icon for files associated w/ fb2k+Winamp (Read 7025 times) previous topic - next topic

Windows 7 shows blank/default icon for files associated w/ fb2k+Winamp

I have two hdds. One has windows 7 and foobar2000 installed on it, the other my music. I've set the file association in foobar2000 / folders in library. However when i goto my hard drive and try to access the normal files, the icon next to their title name (in folder) is blank and not the red mp3 foobar icon. Any way to fix this?

Reply #1
File->Preferences->Shell integration->Manage file type associations

This only works on default, non-portable installations, though.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #2
Full installation, already did. Didn't change a thing. That's my problem.

Reply #3
Oh, you're saying that only the icons are missing, but the files are associated correctly with foobar2000, i.e. are sent to it when opened? Do you have the icons inside your installation directory in the "icons" subfolder? I don't know of an official way to manually assign icons to certain file types in Windows 7.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #4
Have you performed any tasks, such as batch renaming, that might have corrupted the file's exension? To check this:

1.) Start Windows Explorer, you can do this by opening up any folder.
2.) Click Organize.
3.) Click Folder and search options.
4.) Click the View tab.
5.) Scroll down until you notice "Hide extensions for known file types," un-check this line by clicking the check box.
6.) Click OK

Now go to your music folder and see if the file exensions are still intact.

Reply #5
Correct Kohlrabi. Just did that Eagle, they're still blank. It's every music file. They just show a white page as the default inactive icon.

Reply #6
This might be a long shot, but you can try repairing the icon cache database:

Step 1:
Close all folder windows. Launch Task Manager using the CTRL+SHIFT+ESC key sequence, or by running taskmgr.exe.

Step 2:
In the Process tab, right-click on the Explorer.exe process and select End Process.

Step 3:
Click the End process button when asked for confirmation. From the File menu of Task Manager, select New Task (Run...). Type CMD.EXE, and click OK

Step 4:
In the Command Prompt window, type the commands one by one and press ENTER after each command:

CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
DEL IconCache.db /a
EXIT

Step 5:
In Task Manager, click File, select New Task (Run...) Type EXPLORER.EXE, and click OK.

Reply #7
I've actually tried that before. Because my windows 7 taskbar icons got messed up. Didn't fix it. My guess is, does foobar have to be installed on the same hdd as the files are? Or windows?

Reply #8
Can you actually play the music files with foobar2000? Or any other audio player?

Reply #9
Yeah. The files work and everything is fine with them, other than them not showing the red foobar mp3 file icon. It's just slightly annoying.

Reply #10
Have you tried re-installing foobar2000?

Reply #11
Yup. It happens with winamp too. The reason I posted it here is, I hope someone knows how to fix it / have experience with it. i tried googling but came up with nothing.

Reply #12
It happens with winamp too. The reason I posted it here is […]

So, it’s not a problem caused by foobar2000 or an official component? Important information such as this should be specified in the first instance and in this case would disqualify the thread from Support - (fb2k). Now that it’s here, it may as well stay for the moment; but if it drifts further off, it might end up being moved.

Reply #13
I installed winamp to see if it'd do anything different. But I want the foobar icons, so it's kind foobar related? I'm not trying to undermine you, just seeing if anyone has a solution. I don't know where else to put this thread. Sorry if I placed it in the wrong place.

Reply #14
Yeah. The files work and everything is fine with them

By "work", you mean you double-click a file in Explorer and then foobar opens and plays it?

Tip: getting help on vague issues requires that you be incredibly specific in what you do.

Reply #15
Yes. I can double click them, right click them and hit play in windows explorer and Foobar2000 recognizes the command.

Reply #16
I can't find the edit post option. But I wanted to let you know. This random fixed itself.... how or why? Not a clue. Thanks though for the suggestions.