Skip to main content

Topic: Fraunhofer Q100 setting vs LAME V0 (Read 3075 times) previous topic - next topic

• metal
  • [*]
Fraunhofer Q100 setting vs LAME V0
I currently have a subscription to eMusic,  and out of curiosity using some open source mp3 utilities I wrote a short utility to dump the MP3 headers to the screen.  What I found was interesting, and so I have come to (what appears to be) the best forum on the web for discussion of such matters.

First I was not happy to find that when music from eMusic is encoded with the Fraunhofer encoder, they are inserting into the id3v2 header a PRIV field. In this field is encoded everything they need to trace the download to me which includes date, time, session ID, and some other identifiers.  I don't care so much unless my portable MP3 player or computer gets lost or stolen, and then if some kid uploads my music to some share site I would probably be hunted down like a dog...  But thats not really why I'm making this post.

What I also found while scanning the id3v2 headers is that when eMusic encodes with Fraunhofer, they use the "VBR q100" settings.  Are these settings any good?  The only posts I could find about this Fraunhofer setting were these two, which state the q100 settings uses a 16 kHz cutoff.  The audio graph looks not quite as good as LAME V0 graph.

These are the posts:
Maximizing VBR Quality, Squeezing out the last 2%
Question about VBR and --strictly-enforce-iso

Personally, I use LAME when I rip my CDs using the "-V0 --vbr-new -q0 --lowpass 19.7" settings.  Any comments on those settings would be welcome too.

Thanks.

• greynol
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #1
Unless you can ABX the differences what is done to the audio spectrum does not matter.

We listen with our ears, not our eyes.
13 February 2016: The world was blessed with the passing of a truly vile and wretched person.

Your eyes cannot hear.

• Kohlrabi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #2
Personally, I use LAME when I rip my CDs using the "-V0 --vbr-new -q0 --lowpass 19.7" settings.  Any comments on those settings would be welcome too.

I'd avoid all the special flags and start from a much lower -V setting, like -V5. If the resulting encodes are not transparent to you, gradually decrease the -V setting. I think you might be surprised at the level that sounds transparent to you. As a safety margin you might then just choose -V one level better than the one that was transparent. It's of course "safe" (read: as good as LAME VBR encodes will get) to choose -V0 and not do any testing, which potentially takes up a lot more space than the files produced by the above mentioned method.
  • Last Edit: 28 February, 2012, 03:31:27 PM by Kohlrabi
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.