Skip to main content

Topic: [TOS #8] From: Should i start using AAC? Can you notice a better quali (Read 746 times) previous topic - next topic

• eahm
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
[TOS #8] From: Should i start using AAC? Can you notice a better quali
Best to "worst" (file encoded from flac and analyzed with Adobe Autidion):

AAC CBR400 = AAC CBR320 = AAC VBR.75. All three look exactly the same, or at least my eye doesn't see any difference (...or the difference doesn't explain 3 more MB for the CBR400).

AAC CBR256 = AAC VBR.65

MP3 CBR320

MP3 VBR -V 0

My suggestion, if you'd like to convert all of them go with AAC CBR320 or AAC VBR.75. Of course, if you can go/stay with FLAC/ALAC.

I use MP3 (LAME 3.99.4/3.99r) CBR320 but after this test, I will keep testing tomorrow, I will switch to AAC CBR320 for the few albums I keep on my iPhone.
  • Last Edit: 27 February, 2012, 04:44:43 AM by eahm

• Defsac
  • [*][*][*][*]
[TOS #8] From: Should i start using AAC? Can you notice a better quali
Reply #1
Best to "worst" (file encoded from flac and analyzed with Adobe Autidion):

My suggestion, if you'd like to convert all of them go with AAC CBR320 or AAC VBR.75. Of course, if you can go/stay with FLAC/ALAC.

I use MP3 (LAME 3.99.4/3.99r) CBR320 but after this test, I will keep testing tomorrow, I will switch to AAC CBR320 for the few albums I keep on my iPhone.

This is not an ideal way to test lossy codecs, an encoder with a better psymodel could in theory produce an audibly better output than another even if a spectrum analysis suggests the former has preserved less of the signal. I think at these bit rates any quality difference is fairly academic as most people (myself included) could not ABX regular samples.
  • Last Edit: 27 February, 2012, 06:46:27 AM by Defsac