Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "Force preferred tag writing scheme" not being honoured (Read 1935 times) previous topic - next topic

"Force preferred tag writing scheme" not being honoured

In advanced tagging settings I have "Write ID3v2.3", "Prefer ID3v2 + ID3v1", & "Force preferred tag writing scheme" all set.

I moved to foobar2000 v1.1.10 a few days ago. Prior to upgrade, I think from v1.1.9, any edit of an mp3 did indeed result in it being forced to v2.3+v1. Certainly this has worked for me for a long time, & it can only be relatively recently that this stopped working.

Now, if there is an existing v2.4 tag it is not being forced over to v2.3, although a v1 is added. In long, an edit of any tag content results in the following:
Code: [Select]
Before       After
v1           v2.3+v1
v2.3         v2.3+v1
v2.4         v2.4+v1
v2.3+v1      v2.3+v1
v2.4+v1      v2.4+v1

[context menu]>Tagging>MP3 tag types...>Override ID3v2 revision will force tags to v2.3, or v2.4, whichever you wish.

I'm seeing no errors in the console, just lots of "Properties dialog refresh" & "Properties dialog display refresh".

Foobar is reporting itself & all components up to date, with the online troubleshooter finding no dodgy components.

The only possible reason it could be at my end is that I'm running foobar under Wine, but that has never affected this before. Is a Windows user able to reproduce my findings?

Reply #1
The "force preferred tag writing scheme" is only relevant to the "preferred tag writing scheme" branch, NOT to "ID3v2 revision and quirks". ID3v2 revision is not changed unless explicitly requested by the user, to prevent data loss from 2.3 vs 2.4 specification differences.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #2
Thanks, makes sense. I could have sworn foobar used to force v2.4 down to v2.3 with any edit, but obviously my mistake. I'll continue to use Override from the context menu.

Reply #3
Using the current release (1.1.11) and can't seem to find the "Force preferred tag writing scheme" checkbox that once existed under Preferences > Advanced.  Am I missing something or has this option been removed?

Reply #4
Cleaned up advanced preferences for MP3 tagging (beta 2)

“Force preferred tagging scheme” option gone - use the “MP3 tag types” dialog to convert between different tag types.

Reply #5
Ugh, that's unfortunate - I found this option to be quite useful!