Skip to main content

Topic: I/O error with vgmstream (Read 2004 times) previous topic - next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
  • Soltis
  • [*]
I/O error with vgmstream
Trying to play .xa files with vgmstream; getting an "I/O error" -- no further information, nothing in the Windows event log. Strangely enough, this only started happening recently; I was able to play these files just fine a few weeks ago.

After I got the error I updated foobar2000 and its plugins to the most recent versions -- which changed exactly nothing.

I also tested using different output options -- WASAPI, ASIO, DS -- and that didn't do anything. Enabling/disabling the PPHS resampler also didn't change anything.

Suggestions?

  • Soltis
  • [*]
I/O error with vgmstream
Reply #1
Still have yet to find a solution.

  • kode54
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
I/O error with vgmstream
Reply #2
VGMStream can only play XA files from your hard disk. It cannot play them from game CDs or CD images.

To do that, you would need to use foo_adpcm and add the XA files using one of the additional main menu options, so they end up with xa:// paths.

  • Soltis
  • [*]
I/O error with vgmstream
Reply #3
They're not on a disc; they're files on my HDD.

  • kode54
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
I/O error with vgmstream
Reply #4
Do you have both of these components installed? Either one will try to read XA files, although which one takes priority is completely randomized at every program startup. I didn't bother to disable the XA input when both components are detected because my component also supports reading XA from optical discs.

  • Soltis
  • [*]
I/O error with vgmstream
Reply #5
I started out with only vgmstream; tried installing foo_adpcm when you mentioned it worked too, and that didn't work; removed vgmstream and tried only having foo_adpcm, and it still doesn't work.

I even tried re-extracting the files from the RAR where I had them archived, in case it was some kind of file corruption.

They were originally being played across a network share (a mapped drive to a samba server), and after this began happening I tried moving them to a local HDD and playing them -- without any luck.

I checked my plugin list for any "trouble" plugins, and nothing showed up -- are there any other plugins which handle .xa files I should be aware of? (Either to ensure I don't have them installed, too, or to try instead?)
  • Last Edit: 26 February, 2012, 05:59:54 PM by Soltis

  • Soltis
  • [*]
I/O error with vgmstream
Reply #6
So it looks like kode's adpcm tries to take over files with the wrong prefix; that is, the .xa files are on my HDD in my music collection, and the library adds them to my autoplaylist like one would expect.

However, adpcm apparently tries to play them (and consistently takes precedence over vgmstream, at least on my system) and presumably they're pathed with file:// instead of xa://, so it fails.

Either adpcm needs to change how foobar adds items to the library, ignore file://*.xa files, or learn how to handle file:// paths when possible.
  • Last Edit: 09 August, 2012, 04:29:18 PM by Soltis

  • kode54
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
I/O error with vgmstream
Reply #7
It does handle file:// paths on local file systems just fine, the xa:// protocol was only added for files with no known extensions.

  • Soltis
  • [*]
I/O error with vgmstream
Reply #8
Except that doesn't actually seem to be the case. The files in question are on a local drive in the form D:\music\filename.xa and still throw the I/O error.  They work just fine any time I remove foo_adpcm and revert to vgmstream alone.

  • kode54
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
I/O error with vgmstream
Reply #9
You may as well use VGMStream instead of foo_adpcm, as VGMStream supports all of the formats that matter, except for reading XA from CDs.