Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: .psm file formats: Lossy or lossless? (Read 3167 times) previous topic - next topic

.psm file formats: Lossy or lossless?

Hi there,

Out of curiosity, I converted a few .psm game music files to flac using foobar2000.

Analyzed the waveforms in adobe audition and they appear to be lossless. Used audio checker and it said "99% CCDA"...

Are these type of files lossy or lossless audio? Thanks.

Reply #1
You can use the Binary Comparator component to bit-compare your files. Install the component, put both the original and encoded file into a playlist, select both, right-click (context menu) and select "Utilities->Bit-Compare Tracks...".
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #2
Binary compare does not help, as the .psm file is the source. To compare, one needs then the original signal before it was PSM'ed.

If the FLAC file is much larger than the .psm file, then likely PSM is a lossy format. (Compare to what happens when you transcode mp3 --> FLAC.)

Reply #3
Oh, I apparently missed the final question, I thought the newbie!(*) wanted to know whether the conversion was lossless, not whether the .psm format itself is lossless. Transcoding from lossy formats to lossless should give a warning message in foobar2000, but I'm currently not sure if that also applies to formats added by third-party components.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #4
Out of curiosity, I converted a few .psm game music files to flac using foobar2000.

Analyzed the waveforms in adobe audition and they appear to be lossless. Used audio checker and it said "99% CCDA"...

Your question doesn't really make sense.  PSM files are just descriptions of how to synthesize sounds, not a way to compress general audio.  Its just nonsense to ask if they're lossless since they're not made from anything. 

That said, the flac file is a lossless copy of the output of whatever PSM decoder foobar2000 uses (although likely two different PSM decoders would give you different FLAC files . . .).

Reply #5
Hence why the decoder component describes the encoding as "synthesized" rather than "lossy" or "lossless".

Reply #6

Your question doesn't really make sense.  PSM files are just descriptions of how to synthesize sounds, not a way to compress general audio.  Its just nonsense to ask if they're lossless since they're not made from anything. 

That said, the flac file is a lossless copy of the output of whatever PSM decoder foobar2000 uses (although likely two different PSM decoders would give you different FLAC files . . .).

Thank you for all the replies! So the resulting flac file is a lossless copy then...

Just right clicked the file and checked "encoding" and it does say "synthesized" rather than "lossy" or "lossless".