Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Best lossy format (Read 3803 times) previous topic - next topic

Best lossy format

Sorry if this has already been answered but, which lossy format is best for transcoding, plus which settings?

Best lossy format

Reply #1
If you look at some of Den's posts, you will notice that he made some very extensive listening tests on transcoding from various lossy compression methods to Atrac (for his MD player)

In all his tests, WavPack lossy was the winner.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....2&t=8416&st=25&

The only mandatory setting is que -h switch (high quality). Other than that, you only have to choose bitrate.

Best lossy format

Reply #2
Try MPC --insane or a lossless encoder. 

[rant]kicks vorbis' a** any day[/rant] Embrace for flamewar. 
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Best lossy format

Reply #3
According to what I have read in this forum, the best formats to transcode from (at least theoretically) are subband codecs, such as Musepack and MP2.
As far as I know, people have got good results transcoding from -insane preset, although I have done it with -xtreme and I haven't noticed any problems (but then, my hearing is not nearly as sensitive as HA's standard)

Best lossy format

Reply #4
MPC: --quality 6 or 7 --xlevel.-
MPC: --quality 10 --xlevel (v. 1.15s) (archive/transcoding)
MP3:  LAME 3.96.1 --preset standard (daily listening/portable)

Best lossy format

Reply #5
I guess everyone in this thread missed my post above... :B

Best lossy format

Reply #6
I guess everyone in this thread missed my post above... :B

Your post wasn't there when I started writing mine!

I wonder if Den's results on WavPack and ATRAC3 could also be applied to other formats, i.e. Wavpack-to-MP3, although I don't see any obvious reasons why it couldn't be.

On the other hand, when someone wants a good format to transcode from, it's usually because there are also size concerns. Although 320 or 384 kbit/s are considerably less than lossless compression, it's still around 100 kbit/s more than what MPC at quality 7 normally gets. Maybe that's worth considering.

Best lossy format

Reply #7
I won't link to it since it's an eMule music downloading related site, but there has been an encoder test done with 30 second music clips. One is an --alt preset standard MP3 and the other an --alt preset standard MP3 converted to MP3 from an --xtreme MPC, both converted to FLACs, you could easily tell which was which(Of the high frequencies actually left in the transcoded one, much was distorted). I'd say WavPack. :-)

Edit; there were ABX tests to confirm this, I forget the results though. With my hearing, that says something

Best lossy format

Reply #8
Thanks

I could be converting all my ape's to WavPack soon, once I have confirmed den's findings

Best lossy format

Reply #9
APE's? So the original files are lossless?

That's good; it means that for all intents and purposes, you're not really transcoding, but encoding from a good, fresh source.

The choice of format is truly your own.

For compatibility, I would suggest you go with MP3. The Lame encoder at --alt-preset 160 is a good setting to try.

Or, for high-bitrate quality, go with Musepack (MPC). Try --standard

Or, for low-bitrate relative quality, go with Ogg Vorbis. Try -q 4.2