Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Feature request : rate songs (Read 3163 times) previous topic - next topic

Feature request : rate songs

it will be a good feature
possibility to rate songs ; from 1 to 5 stars ? (like Radon or dbpoweramp)
the rate note will be saved in an APE tag ...
it could be displayed or sorted in the playlist ....

many thanks to everybody make foobar always better ....

Reply #1
Yeah, this would be a great feature! Maybe the ratings could be saved to the Database!
"We like to do 2% jazz and 98% funky stuff." [Maceo Parker]

Reply #2
Why don't you add a tag called rating and assign it a number from 1 to 5 (via "Show file info")? You can then include %rating% in your sort and playlist strings. To show the value of %rating% as a number of "stars", you could add something like this to your playlist string:
Code: [Select]
$if(%rating%,$repeat(*,%rating%),'(not rated)')

The tag would of course be saved to the database.

Reply #3
Why don't you add a tag called rating and assign it a number from 1 to 5 (via "Show file info")? You can then include %rating% in your sort and playlist strings. To show the value of %rating% as a number of "stars", you could add something like this to your playlist string:

sure, it's the way to go ...

The "only need" is a simple plugin to rate a song (to write rating'tag in the song)
(with appropriate "foobar action" ... so we could link shortcut keyboard to number of stars (key 1 for 1 star, key 2 for 2 stars ...))

after, all the rendering can be done by the power of foobar playlist system ...

Reply #4

sure, it's the way to go ...

The "only need" is a simple plugin to rate a song (to write rating'tag in the song)
(with appropriate "foobar action" ... so we could link shortcut keyboard to number of stars (key 1 for 1 star, key 2 for 2 stars ...))

after, all the rendering can be done by the power of foobar playlist system ...

Yes, that's the smartest way! 
"We like to do 2% jazz and 98% funky stuff." [Maceo Parker]

Reply #5
If I wanted to rate my songs, I DEFINITELY would do like foosion already told you. It can't be SO hard just to open up file info and add a %rating% tag there, can it? What on earth do you need a separate plugin for?

Reply #6
If I wanted to rate my songs, I DEFINITELY would do like foosion already told you. It can't be SO hard just to open up file info and add a %rating% tag there, can it? What on earth do you need a separate plugin for?

sure ... i've started to rate my songs, by adding a rating tag ...
but it's defenetivly hard to do it ...

i hear a song i like
must open foobar main window (which sits on the systray)
must select the song which is playing
must select "show file info" in the contextual menu
must click button "add new"
must tape r ... a ... t ... i ... n ... g ...
must press tab
must enter a number between 1 and 5 (not a not v ... ;-)
must take the mouse to hit "enter"
must hit button "update"
must hit button "close"
and minimize fb2k ...

with a plugin (with "action defined")
i hear a song i like
must press ALT-F5 to give rating = 5 ...
and that's all

this plugin shoudn't be difficult to create ...
i've just suggested it, if any skilled foobar plugin developpers don't know what to do ... to release it
i think it's a good idea ... and it will help fb2k to be more popular ...(every player have got this kind of option in core/plugins)

nowadays, it's really useful when we ve got a lot of songs, and don't remember which track we liked in this playlist/album/genre ...

like i say before, it's just a simple idea