Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: conventional phones can damage rip? (Read 19620 times) previous topic - next topic

conventional phones can damage rip?

When i extract cds and the phone rings (not cell phone)
This could cause any damage to the extraction
process or to the files that were extracted?
I know cell phones can damage the extraction
process of cd's.but Are conventional phones (ordinary phones not cell phones)
can damage the extraction process of cd's too?

Reply #1
I do think it highly unlikely.
POTS (Plain Old Telephone System) doesn’t generated any RFI of any substance.
If you want to be sure, use a ripper like dbPoweramp that generating a check sum.
Rip a track.
Rip the same track and give yourself call during the ripping process.
Compare the checksum.
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #2
I doubt your cell phone will have any effect on ripping a CD.

Reply #3
EAC also has check sum?

Reply #6

Can you please provide a reference for this.

If they did then phones are affecting every component in a computer.

Reply #7
I doubt your cell phone will have any effect on ripping a CD.

I will provide you with a story what happened once to me.

I was at a friend's place, he had Pentium 2 computer and a nice Teac drive, so I went to him to rip one CD to mp3, as I had some drive that didn't support audio extraction... yeah, that was that long ago. He had desktop case, and Nokia 3310, I think... one of those old models, without vibration, and he placed it on the case. Anyways, we were ripping CDs with software which name I can't remember, but it showed waveform when ripping, and when ripping second time, the waveform would turn green (it was yellow at first run) if the data matched, or red if there was mismatch. Anyways, during that second run on one of the tracks his phone rang, and we knew it would ring, since we heard that "tu tu tu" sound in computer speakers just before - but the moment that sound is heard, the ripping went berzerk - it was suddenly all red, and when he moved phone to answer the call, it was green again. Second run on that track proved (i guess) it was phone's fault, as everything went normal.

Now, I don't think that modern phones can affect modern equipment like that, but 10 or so years ago it surely did - maybe it was just a case of some broken equipment, be it phone or CD reader, I don't know. But it happened.
TAPE LOADING ERROR

Reply #8

I will provide you with a story what happened once to me.

I was at a friend's place, he had Pentium 2 computer and a nice Teac drive, so I went to him to rip one CD to mp3, as I had some drive that didn't support audio extraction...

How confident are you this was digital audio extraction and your friend, like many of us in the early days, didn't use the analog cables from his CD-ROM drive to his sound card?

For, as was said, if GSM phones are flipping bits Excel should show errors just as (if not more) readily than audio extraction.
Creature of habit.

Reply #9

Have you tried it?

Have you tried it?

Reply #10
EAC also has check sum?

Yes like dbPoweramp it calculates a checksum and compare it with the AccurateRip database.
http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/ripping.html
EAC checksum = crc?

I struggle to understand how you don’t already know this, considering how long you have been here, how many threads you have started, and how many questions you have asked.

Perhaps you ought to spend more time researching and testing things rather than just blindly asking others about them.

Also, there is no need to be so paranoid about things like phones damaging your rip. Getting an accurate rip of an audio CD may be more involved than one might initially imagine, but it’s not that hard.

Reply #11
For, as was said, if GSM phones are flipping bits Excel should show errors just as (if not more) readily than audio extraction.

The EM interference from the phone could simply screw up the analogue signals in the CD sensor due to induction (the same signal that induces the sound in the speakers/headphones etc.).

It's just a matter of how strong (voltage) the signals normally are. Motherboard, RAM and CPU have zeros and ones like 0.5V+ apart which may be too much for the mobile phone to screw up. Voltage levels inside a CD sensor may be way lower and much more susceptible (like the signal from the vinyl needle).

There are also some actuators in the drive which keep the head in the middle of the track. The induction could also move these away from the optimum position.

No matter what, the drive should still detect these as failed reads (like if the CD was scratched) and re-read before sending the signal to the PC.

Reply #12

The EM interference from the phone could simply screw up the analogue signals in the CD sensor due to induction (the same signal that induces the sound in the speakers/headphones etc.).

It's just a matter of how strong (voltage) the signals normally are. Motherboard, RAM and CPU have zeros and ones like 0.5V+ apart which may be too much for the mobile phone to screw up. Voltage levels inside a CD sensor may be way lower and much more susceptible (like the signal from the vinyl needle).

You have it backwards.  The more important the part, generally the lower the voltage since it will be made on newer fabrication processes.  Things like ICs on CDROMs are ancient, so  probably 3.3 or 5v.  CPUs typically use about 1.1-1.2v 

There are also some actuators in the drive which keep the head in the middle of the track. The induction could also move these away from the optimum position.

Given the frequencies and power involved, its basically inconceivable that you could interfere with a motor.

Reply #13
You have it backwards.  The more important the part, generally the lower the voltage since it will be made on newer fabrication processes.  Things like ICs on CDROMs are ancient, so  probably 3.3 or 5v.  CPUs typically use about 1.1-1.2v

Martel is talking about analog signals which are more susceptible to interference, and may not necessarily use same voltages as digital logic (3.3 or 5 v)
Ceterum censeo, there should be an "%is_stop_after_current%".

Reply #14

Martel is talking about analog signals which are more susceptible to interference, and may not necessarily use same voltages as digital logic (3.3 or 5 v)

I don't think I said anything specific to digital logic.

Reply #15

Have you tried it?

Have you tried it?

The cd I extracted  (the phone rang during the extraction) has passed all the tests of EAC successfully. Including AR (confidence 200).

Reply #16
The cd I extracted  (the phone rang during the extraction) has passed all the
tests of EAC successfully. Including AR (confidence 200).

Ok, no harm done
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #17
How confident are you this was digital audio extraction and your friend, like many of us in the early days, didn't use the analog cables from his CD-ROM drive to his sound card?

Very, as I wasn't 12 yrs old then  and it has run at something like 6-8x speed. It was in the time of WinDAC, but I can't remember the name of that software.
TAPE LOADING ERROR

Reply #18
I am sorry, I can't edit my post - I found that software, it is called CDDAE, here is the homepage, there are pictures of software in Documentation part. It's quite old, I must say...
TAPE LOADING ERROR

Reply #19
In conventional telephone systems the ring voltage is rather high!

"The ringing signal sent to a customer's telephone is 90 volts AC at a frequency of 20 hertz in North America. In Europe it is around 60-90 volts AC at a frequency of 25 hertz. In Australia the ring signal averages 100 V AC at 25 Hz."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringing_signal

So I suppose that a PC with a dial-up modem could just possibly have a problem.
Kevin Graf :: aka Speedskater

Reply #20
Thank you all. 
It seemed to me too extreme to disconnect the phone during extraction of cd's.
Have any of you doing it?

Reply #21
Nope, that's ridiculous.
TAPE LOADING ERROR

Reply #22
Even if you can guarantee a corrupted read with whatever kind of interference, if your ripping system can't compensate for it then it's a broken system.  If anything, you want to add interference and see that you get a warning and a correction; because for every EMI source you can disconnect, there'll be a dozen more you don't know about.