Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Crackling sound in Windows 7 (Read 7582 times) previous topic - next topic

Crackling sound in Windows 7

Hello!

Yesterday I migrated to Windows 7 ( RTM x64 )  after buying some ram and is happy with the convertion... Except for my music playback.

When playing music with Foobar2000 the sound crackles. I think crackle is the correct term ( think of the sound when playing a old vinyl ).

My first thought was the sound driver, but I noticed that there where no crackling in MPC when watching a movie. So I tried WMP 12 *shrugs and tries to get rid of the dirty feeling of my skin*, and to my suprise, there where no crackling.

I have tried ASIO, Kernel Support, changing the data format ( from 16 to 24 and back ), applying the Resampler DSP to match the sampling rate, disabling "audio enhancement", disabling ReplayGain and probably some other things ... ( EDIT: Tested WASAPI with no differance )

I have tried several types of music files, .ogg, .mp3 and all with the same crackling.

If anyone have any ideas of what could solve the problem, I would be most deligted!

Technical specs:
Code: [Select]
Core (2009-08-22 12:25:22)
    foobar2000 core 0.9.6.9
foo_albumlist.dll (2009-08-22 12:23:44)
    Album List 4.3.1
foo_cdda.dll (2009-08-22 12:23:34)
    CD Audio Decoder 2.1.4
foo_converter.dll (2009-08-22 12:23:26)
    Converter 1.2.1
foo_dsp_std.dll (2009-08-22 12:23:48)
    Standard DSP Array 1.0
foo_fileops.dll (2009-08-22 12:22:36)
    File Operations 2.1.2
foo_freedb2.dll (2009-08-22 12:22:52)
    freedb Tagger 0.6.1
foo_input_std.dll (2009-08-22 12:23:28)
    Standard Input Array 1.0
foo_out_asio.dll (2009-03-22 15:15:46)
    ASIO support 1.2.7
foo_out_ks.dll (2006-08-04 21:54:58)
    Kernel Streaming Output 1.2.2
foo_rgscan.dll (2009-08-22 12:23:20)
    ReplayGain Scanner 2.0.9
foo_ui_std.dll (2009-08-22 12:23:54)
    Default User Interface 0.9.5
foo_unpack.dll (2009-08-22 12:22:20)
    RAR reader 1.2
    ZIP/GZIP reader 1.0

Computer:
AMD Athlon 64 3800+
2gb RAM
Geforce 7800GT
Sound Blaster Audigy ( Driver: ctaud2k.sys version 6.00.0001.1371 )

Motherboard:
Asus A8V-VM SE
Chipset:
K8M890CE Host Bridge

Hope that atleast some information is relevant!

Best regards//
Markus aka Mackyman

Reply #1
Try increasing buffer length to 2000 ms or higher under output settings in preferences.

Reply #2
You might try the DPC Latency Checker.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #3
Thanks for the quick solutions... Unfortuantly I have already tried to increase the buffer to 2000ms, wich haven't worked.

DPC just give small nice bars, and the message:
"This machine should be able to handle real-time streaming of audio and/or video data without drop-outs."

I did a strange discovery thou ( or two ). When I started music in foobar right after running the music i WMP, the crackle ( jitter och whatever ) is reduced to very little, it's barely hearable.

The next discovery I got was Windows having a notification for me ( which I haven't seen before, dunno if I missed it or if it has comed up now ) wich says:

"Your sound card isn't compatible with this version of Windows.
The model name of your sound card is Sound Blaster Live! 5.1."

And the later is WRONG! As it's a Sound Blaster Audigy.

So right now I'm beginning to consider to buy a new Sound Card... I just need cash for it

Reply #4
Thanks for the quick solutions... Unfortuantly I have already tried to increase the buffer to 2000ms, wich haven't worked.

DPC just give small nice bars, and the message:
"This machine should be able to handle real-time streaming of audio and/or video data without drop-outs."

I did a strange discovery thou ( or two ). When I started music in foobar right after running the music i WMP, the crackle ( jitter och whatever ) is reduced to very little, it's barely hearable.

The next discovery I got was Windows having a notification for me ( which I haven't seen before, dunno if I missed it or if it has comed up now ) wich says:

"Your sound card isn't compatible with this version of Windows.
The model name of your sound card is Sound Blaster Live! 5.1."

And the later is WRONG! As it's a Sound Blaster Audigy.

So right now I'm beginning to consider to buy a new Sound Card... I just need cash for it

have you tried this driver? (or another from danielK on the same forum?)

Reply #6

You'll probably want to link to this blog instead.

Sure that's about the drivers?

I have exactly same symptoms with M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496. I tried to solve problems just like topic starter. I tried increasing buffer length to 2000 and even higher without help.
Then i installed latest drivers from M-Audio.
I also tried digital output from card to amplifier as i normally use analog audio which is routed through mixer.

Crackling sounds from all outputs and with Foobar only.

Reply #7

You'll probably want to link to this blog instead.

Sure that's about the drivers?

I have exactly same symptoms with M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496. I tried to solve problems just like topic starter. I tried increasing buffer length to 2000 and even higher without help.
Then i installed latest drivers from M-Audio.
I also tried digital output from card to amplifier as i normally use analog audio which is routed through mixer.

Crackling sounds from all outputs and with Foobar only.

I got good audio quality after installing WASAPI output driver for foobar.

OS is Server 2008 R2 which is basically Win7 x64.

Reply #8
I experience the same thing, but only when I'm doing stuff to the disc, like moving massive files.  Try these suggestions:

1. Disable indexing on your music folders
2. Increase the priority of the foobar process

Also, see if you can get a correct updated win 7 compatible driver for your sound card.

Reply #9
Uhm err... or in the advance section of preferences, under playback, change the thread priority, and possibly the file buffering settings.  I'm not sure, but just write down how it's set, and mess with it a bit.  The worst that can happen is it crashes, right?

Reply #11
Just to be sure, you said you have tried ASIO, KS and WASAPI, but these problems are present on direct sound as well?
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe