Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: how do you store "date" tags ? (Read 2271 times) previous topic - next topic

how do you store "date" tags ?

since there's no tagging forum i'll post it here...
do you store your tags by the original release (even if there was no cd at this time) or you store the date of the release of >this cd... like when a cd was remastered in 2001 do you store 2001 or the original release which was maybe back in 1974 ?

just want to know if there any unwritten "standard" of doing this.

thanks

Reply #1
What I've been doing is that I store the information about the album where I ripped the audio file out of. So if I ripped a song from the Best Of album, I write down the date the album was released, not the original release day of the song.

Why? Because sometimes the songs are mastered differently with each release. For the files I don't know what CD they were ripped from, then I use the original release date.

Reply #2
My personal practice is to use the date of the original releases. Unless it's a remaster (with better sound quality) or reissue (with bonus tracks), then I change the name of the album, eg. "London Calling (2001 remaster)", but I leave the original release date in the date field.

Reply #3
I looked into this a bit AFAIK there is no "official" or even "generally accepted" way of tagging files, so people genrally tag (or don't) depending on their preferences.

I try to do extensive tagging on my files so I don't have to go back and find one version of a song came from a different album - and there are certain songs that have dozens of versions - and people don't bother tagging which version it is.

I would suggest you tag from the CD you are taking it from for 2 main reasons;

1) Some albums on LPs especially might be live shows or ones that don't fit a standard CD layout - one I was just working on called "Ten Years After - Undead" - The LP was remastered onto CD but it sounds funny because they tried to break up a live show to fit into a 5 track CD. There is a bootleg versions which is released as a 1 track version of the LP so this sounds like the original. So in this manner if you tag it like the original album one might assume it is a rip from the original LP and not from the remastered or bootleg.

2) Along the same lines - there have been albums that have multiple remastering from the originals - if you tag them all like the original the remastering version is left out.

I would suggest you tag from the CD you are taking it from and then if you want include a refernce to the original tag in the comment field