Skip to main content

Topic: writing wavpack sound to stdout (Read 5099 times) previous topic - next topic

writing wavpack sound to stdout
Folks,

i'm getting ampache setup on linux and i need to be able to write audio out to stdout for the streaming to work. My collection is in wavpack.

For instance, the command line for flac would be ""flac -dc %FILE% | lame -b %SAMPLE% -S - - ".

I've been searching for hours and i can't figure out how to decompress a wavpack file to a pipe and not to a file.

Any help is welcome. I'd rather not convert 12k files to flac and lose all that tagging.

Thanks.
  • Last Edit: 25 June, 2011, 06:14:25 AM by BearcatSandor
Music lover and recovering high end audiophile

• lvqcl
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer
Reply #1
This commandline should work:

wvunpack file.wv - | lame -b ...

Reply #2
This commandline should work:

wvunpack file.wv - | lame -b ...

Thanks. That's what i've been playing with and it does not quite work.  With flac, if i do "flac -dc myfile.flac | lame -b 8192 -S - - " i get crap (binary stuff) all over my screen. That's what i would expect and it's the correct behavior. There is no resulting file called myfile.wav.  The -dc parameter means decode,pass to stdout.

If i do that with wavpack, which does not seem to have a "pass data to stdout" switch, by entering "wvunpack myfile.wv | lame -b 8192 -S - - " i just see it uncompressing and no crap flies up my screen as it should. I end up with a file called myfile.wav and i should not.

Any ideas?

Thanks.       

• bryant
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer (Donating)
Reply #3
Any help is welcome. I'd rather not convert 12k files to flac and lose all that tagging.

Please, I hope that's not necessary !! 

I think I know the problem. The command line that lvqcl gave will work fine in Windows, but there is a slightly different syntax required in Linux because on Linux you can have multiple input file entries on the command line and so a -o is required if an output file (or stdout) is specified:

Code: [Select]
wvunpack file.wv -o - | lame ...

This is shown in the usage line, but these formal format specifications are not always obvious, and I see that nowhere is it mentioned that dash (-) refers to stdin and stdout (although that is pretty common):

Code: [Select]
 Usage:   WVUNPACK [-options] [@]infile[.wv]|- [...] [-o [@]outfile[.wav]|outpath|-]

Note that I added -o as a nop to the Windows version so that the same syntax could be used on both platforms if desired (this is used for Logitech's SqueezeCenter).

Hope this works better!

David
  • Last Edit: 25 June, 2011, 05:02:06 PM by bryant

Reply #4
Bryant,

Yes!!! Thank you so much! It's now working fantasticly. I can stream my wavpack files all over!

And to think I almost converted back to flac. That was a close one!

Thanks again,

Bearcat