Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Random lag during radio streams (Read 1807 times) previous topic - next topic

Random lag during radio streams

Hi,

I'm new to using foobar2000, I recently went from about 10+ years using Winamp -> Songbird -> foobar2000. I love the minimalistic interface and low resource usage foobar2000 offers but I am having a problem that is really breaking it for me. I only listen to radio stations on my computer and they lag at seemingly random times, for long periods of time, and there doesn't seem to be any obvious way of resolving the lag. I'm subscribed to Digitally Imported Premium so all of the files I am streaming off of are HQ 256k MP3 playlist streams. I've been listening to di.fm streams for over two years now and there have only been a few very rare cases where it lagged for me. But ever since I started using foobar2000 it seems really common. I usually "fix" it by just choosing a different station but when I'm really looking to listen to a specific type of music but I find out the station is lagging, it's just a huge bummer.

Here is the result of my speed test:

I am a slightly higher than average computer user but very good at figuring things out, if I were to guess, it feels to me like foobar2000 is setting the buffer super super low (if this is even possible with streams). I tried looking through the settings and found a few buffer size settings, but they were all for local files so they didn't do anything.

I searched the forums for stream lag problems, used the Online Troubleshooter from within the software, etc. In addition, I am using Windows 7 64x with all updates installed.

I'm using v1.17. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!