Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iTunes DJ-like function in foobar? (Read 2999 times) previous topic - next topic

iTunes DJ-like function in foobar?

I recently changed from iTunes to foobar. Generally, I'm very happy with the change, however there is one iTunes feature I miss in foobar: iTunes DJ.

That feature basically works like this:
- A list with 25 random songs is generated
- When the first song is played, it disappears from the list and another random song is added at the bottom of the list
- Songs within the list can be manually deleted, and their order can be changed. If a song is deleted, another random song is added to the list
- Songs from the music library can be manually added to this list (either after the currently playing song or at the bottom)
- The pool where songs are randomly chosen from can be specified (either 'all music' or user-defined playlists)

I tried to google for any plugins, but I didn't find anything... either it doesn't exist, or I used the wrong search terms.
So, is there anything like iTunes DJ for foobar?

Reply #1
You can emulate that behaviour by two components: foo_random_pools can select random tracks/albums/other self-defined groups of tracks to a playlist. It can be configured to automatically do this to a specified playlist, e.g. one named "DJ", when it contains less than X (25) tracks. Then foo_playlist_attributes allows to automatically remove played items from a playlist.

Reply #2
You should check foo_autodj. It's pretty what you're looking for.
Regards.

Reply #3
Thanks for the quick answers! foo_random_pools and foo_playlist_attributes do exactly what I want.
foo_audodj didn't work on the first try (didn't try very hard though)...