Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Help With Burning CD-Rs Please (Read 3616 times) previous topic - next topic

Help With Burning CD-Rs Please

Hi there,

First and foremost, I hate bugging people with stupid questions that can be easily answer via Google search, so I just wanted to let you guys know I did quite a bit of searching and tried to keep up with the literature available on the net. I respect HA's community a lot and figured I would get the best responses here. My questions regarding burning CD-Rs are below, and I really hope to lock the whole process down soon. (Can't wait to start burning!!)

I'm trying to burn via EAC, and read this guide: http://blowfish.be/eac/Burn/burn.html because most searches led to it. The information looks a bit dated and I was wondering if somebody could verify the material on that page is still good to use. I got some cool looking CD-Rs and really don't want to screw up on my methods.

- I don't use the FLAC frontend to convert my FLACs to WAV (I use foobar2000 and I was wondering okay if it's okay to decompress like that?)
- Are there specifics I should look out or set my EAC in a particular fashion to get the best results? (I just want to be able to burn CD-R from .CUE sheets for now)
- You can assume I have little-to-no familiarity with the program

So far I burned a single test CD-R (generic brand one I had laying around) and if somebody could critique me or offer advice I'd really appreciate it.

Method: FLAC album with .Cue file on hand --> Start up foobar2000 and convert to .WMA --> The converted file is in the original source FLAC folder ---> I start up EAC and click WRI and load Cue sheet --> Burn.

Some things on my mind that I wasn't entirely sure about was:
Q - How important are the settings? And are the settings on the site still valid? (I do want to be able to rip as well in the future)
Q- Is there a better, or more efficient way? I feel like burning an album has some pretty extensive steps (maybe it's just me lol but just feels like this)

Oneee last thing - on the .cue sheet is there a way I can preserve the exact tags and cd information? On my test CD, foobar2000 plays it and it shows nothing..

And lastly, if any experienced users have any tips on their personal usage or their settings - I'd love to read it.
Thanks guys 

Reply #1
Unless the latest 1.0.2 EAC can burn FLACs, which I doubt, you can't burn FLAC files directly in EAC.  IIRC, EAC can only burn WAV, ape, and mp3 formats.  Not sure about WMA.

If the FLACs are tagged, converting them to WAV files will lose all their tagging, not good if you want CD-text, ok if you want a plain audio CD.  It looks like you want to preserve the tagging.

Converting to ape format is a possibility but then you have to deal with two different sets of files.  Converting to mp3 or WMA permanently deletes audio information to save space which is great for portable audio but not for what you want to do.

Bottom line:  I recommend using a program other than EAC to burn FLACs into audio CDs.  Foobar2000 can do it with the Burninate plugin (no CD-text), I like ImgBurn which requires adding the madFLAC DirectShow filter, and there are others I've never used.  See http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-...ng-software.htm.

Reply #2
For example, Burrrn! can do that.
TAPE LOADING ERROR

Reply #3
Oops, sorry I meant converting my FLAC to .WAV not WMV sorry about the confusion lol 

I'll look into the madFLAC filter and imgburn today after work, do they retain the tagging or the CD-text?

Regarding Burrrn! on the guide I was referring to (in the OP), he mentioned Burrrn! won't be an entirely exact copy?

His statement was "but it does not have the option to correct drive offsets, so the copy will not be exact if you use Burrrn"

Reply #4
Oops, sorry I meant converting my FLAC to .WAV not WMV sorry about the confusion lol 

I'll look into the madFLAC filter and imgburn today after work, do they retain the tagging or the CD-text?

Regarding Burrrn! on the guide I was referring to (in the OP), he mentioned Burrrn! won't be an entirely exact copy?

His statement was "but it does not have the option to correct drive offsets, so the copy will not be exact if you use Burrrn"

Only EAC can burn with offsets, but you will lose the tagging if you convert to WAV.

If you 0 out the read and write offsets, that should be ok.

ImgBurn will retain the tags and will burn directly from FLACs without doing any conversion.