Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [TOS #2] From: Bluray vs DVD at 1920x1080? (Read 11237 times) previous topic - next topic

[TOS #2] From: Bluray vs DVD at 1920x1080?

Reply #25
48, 72, or 120 will suit PAL but not 60?  Last time I did math none of those numbers matched to 25 either.  60 FPS is the only logical choice.  For 48 FPS one would need a 240 Hz TV to not have to employ any kind of crazy pulldown, which always results in a judder.  For 60 FPS (60/1.001) people could play this content on their 60 Hz, 120 Hz, and 240 Hz TVs with ease.  72 FPS is just overkill.  People will get nauseated enough from 60 FPS.  Also, what kind of crappy camera work do you think cinematographers employ to make a scene look like a home movie?  Watch the Omaha Beach scene of Saving Private Ryan...it shows you don't need 60 FPS to make something look like it's shot like a home movie...you can tell someone was running with a camera at 24 FPS.  Cameras aren't going to magically start shaking all over the place because of a higher framerate.  720p60 > 1080p24.

Reply #27
48, 72, or 120 will suit PAL but not 60?
They suit film, which (for a lot time yet) will still have to support 24fps to.

72 FPS is just overkill.  People will get nauseated enough from 60 FPS.
nauseated?! higher frame rate = more natural. 100-200fps starts to look like reality, rather than video, but I doubt we'll see it commercially for a long time.

Some people are planning for it...
http://tech.ebu.ch/Jahia/site/tech/cache/o...-at-nab-11apr11

Cheers,
David.

Reply #28
We won't see UHDTV for decades.  The world STILL can't even get a good enough cable backbone to allow anything more than 1080i at this point, I don't see how something like that will ever work...it was only a demo, too.  Who cares what framerates suit film...that makes no sense...24 FPS was chosen because of limits on optical audio tracks.  The only reason to need to stick to something 24-based is snobbishness and stubbornness...there are no technical reasons that movies NEED to be in some framerate based on multiples of 24.

Reply #29
Who cares what framerates suit film...that makes no sense...

If you consider all the bazillions invested in 24-fps compatible equipment, from filming to projecting, and all the movies already made at 24fps that the future equipment need to keep compatibility with, and compare it to the "need" for higher-than 24fps, then it kinda makes a lot of sense.

Reply #30
And computer-animated movies will always be able to take advantage of the newest format to come out.  If UHDTV catches a hold and finds a storage medium then all they have to do is re-render an animated movie.  Animated movies will be around forever and always be the best looking they can possibly be.

Keeping to 24 FPS multiples makes no sense.  There is no magic switch that makes all this 24 FPS investments be able to just switch to 48, 72, or 120 FPS.  What movies are even played in film anymore?  Isn't it all mainly DLP projection?  Can't that technology already do 60 FPS?  Only trailers are really played back from film anymore.  Upgrading cinema to another multiple of 24 and trying to force the consumer market around that is just asinine.  Less money would be spent in the long run to change cinema technology to 60 FPS than to get consumers to buy into some 48 FPS crap.

Reply #31
I stand corrected, then.  I sure hope 40 Mbps is enough to preserve the picture.  We shall see what they plan to do.  If they choose 48 FPS I will boycott that and not watch any of those titles nor purchase them.  If they do 60 FPS I will be happy.
?! The perceived difference between 48 and 60 is rather small. 48, 72 or 120 are the obvious numbers to jump to for film. 60fps might suit legacy "NTSC" countries, but not legacy "PAL" countries. 48 is the opposite. It's probably so far off that it doesn't matter. They'll take any excuse to sell you a new TV anyway!

What eer happened to the idea that the eye doesn't respond to frame rates that are in excess of some easily obtainable number? Is anybody ABXing frame rates?

Reply #32
Your conscious sense may not be able to discern big differences, but studies have shown that frame rates like 120 Hz and higher are shown to induce a disorientating effect versus lower frame rates.

Peter Jackson is filming The Hobbit in 48 FPS.  I was probably not going to watch it anyway, since I grew out of that phase of movies once I became an adult...but now I really won't seeing as how he chose a completely homosexual frame rate.

Reply #33
Peter Jackson is filming The Hobbit in 48 FPS.  I was probably not going to watch it anyway, since I grew out of that phase of movies once I became an adult...
I love Pixar movies.

but now I really won't seeing as how he chose a completely homosexual frame rate.
So... you're an adult?

Reply #34
Fantasy crap like LOTR, Harry Potter, WoW, magic cards, video games...that stuff is retarded nerd crap.  Where I work there are nerds everywhere, grown ass men who talk about all kinds of dragon slaying and stupid childish fantasy crap...it's pathetic.  They are not adults in the mind.  It's one thing to enjoy things, it's another thing to be a complete retard about them and not have a life in reality.  My beliefs because of the word I used in the statement I made has nothing to do with being an adult.