Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Home Audio Setup / System (Read 2886 times) previous topic - next topic

Home Audio Setup / System

Not sure where to post this.  Hope this is an OK subject here.

I'm working on compiling a good collection of music in FLAC format.  And currently I just use Foobar2000 to play it via my PC.

However, I'd like to learn more about how to setup my home for digital audio, so that I could have great sounds in just about any room I wanted as my budget would afford.  I don't currently have any other way to play all my FLAC other than that PC.  But I'd like to learn more about how I could setup my home to play audio throughout the home.  Also I'm not interested in super high dollar design, but more realistic expectations in regards to a typical budget.

Where is a good place to discuss and learn about home setups and the best route to take?  And if I might ask here, what is the best route to go in the way of a technology proof setup.  It seems that things change so fast that what might be a good setup one year might not be the next.  Is there any consensus as to what is technology proof in this regard?

Reply #1
A Sonus multiroom system is probably your best option.
EAC>1)fb2k>LAME3.99 -V 0 --vbr-new>WMP12 2)MAC-Extra High

Reply #2
Thanks for the insight.  I'll look into that.

Reply #3
What options are there that are not so proprietary?

Reply #4
Apple TV, Airport Express controlled via Computer, iPad, iPhone, Ipod Touch works well under OS X and Windows.

Reply #5
A Sonus multiroom system is probably your best option.

Sonos probably is the best option if g725s wants a turnkey system that just works out of the box, and has the budget.

If g725s is more technically minded, then the Squeezebox system is cheaper and more flexible. (There is however some doubt over how committed Logitech might be to the system in the long term. No such worries over Sonos - audio streaming is their core business).