Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Switching from Windows to Mac & need dbpoweramp (Read 7068 times) previous topic - next topic

Switching from Windows to Mac & need dbpoweramp

I found a couple of threads on this topic but they all were old and most point to Max, not updated since 2009...  I'm switching from Windows to Mac and I'm struggling with the key programs I use for music production.

It looks like perhaps Max is considered the best CD ripper.  Does that still hold true?

I'd prefer to use LAME for MP3 encoding and that appears to be available for Mac.  Any suggestions for a good Mac front end for LAME?  With Windows, I always preferred EAC as the LAME front end.

And the most elusive... what best replaces dbPoweramp with the ability to generally decode a wide variety of formats.  It looks Max will handle my lossless needs, but not MP3.  I often create v0 quality MP3s for the iPod and other portability reasons.

Thanks

Reply #1
A frequently recommended application (as far as I have read) is XLD.

Also, the developer of Max has another program in beta: Rip, though I haven’t read much/anything about it.

Of course, you could always try running the Windows programs via Wine; recently released was a new version of Wineskin, which handles for you the bundling into ‘wrappers’ (.app files) of a precompiled binary of Wine and the Windows application.

Reply #2
As mentioned above XLD is the application to use on OS X. I feel is better than DdPoweramp in the sense it works as well and is easier for fist time users.

Max and Rip both are pale i comparison and it seems like the developer has stopped working on them.