Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ReplayGain specification complete (Read 4749 times) previous topic - next topic

ReplayGain specification complete

The new ReplayGain specification is now complete to my satisfaction. It has been under open development on the Hydrogen Audio Wiki for the past three months. I again invite you to post any comments or perform any edits that improve the specification.

I would like to get this thing published and publicized as part of Dynamic Range Day on 25 March. Final steps are to to redirect www.replaygain.org to the new specification. I will then adjust the link in the new specification to point to an archive URL of the original proposal.

Reply #1
Thanks for all your work on the new spec. I hope my copy edits have been helpful. One thing that bothers me about the current text: "Source: Wikipedia"  Aside from being rather vague (where in Wikipedia?), ideally, anything worth relying on in Wikipedia should be attributable to a non-wiki source.

Reply #2
It'd be fantastic if having an official spec means that companies start using it in their products  I wish my car stereo had it, it'd make life so much easier!

Reply #3
Thanks for all your work on the new spec. I hope my copy edits have been helpful. One thing that bothers me about the current text: "Source: Wikipedia"  Aside from being rather vague (where in Wikipedia?), ideally, anything worth relying on in Wikipedia should be attributable to a non-wiki source.

I lifted some introductory text from the Loudness war article. It is non-crucial context. I've helped edit that article and can vouch for the material I've used here. I've made the citation more specific.

Thanks very much for your contributions. Let me know if you'd like to make an appearance in the Acknowledgements section.

Reply #4
Does anyone know who needs to be contacted to redirect www.replaygain.org to the new spec? I've PM'd David but no response (yet).

Re: ReplayGain specification complete

Reply #6
The original spec ( https://web.archive.org/web/20030428233552/http://replaygain.hydrogenaudio.org/player_scale.html ) words it like so

scale=10.^(replay_gain/20);
   Or, in words: ten to the power of (the replay gain divided by 20).

and the re-written one ( http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=ReplayGain_1.0_specification ) like this:

10^\frac{gain}{20}
   Or, in words, replay gain divided by 20 all raised to the power of ten.

(They - the 'in words' parts - cannot both be right.)

Reply #7
Can you explain what you mean?

Reply #8
He means the formula is right but the words are wrong. Indeed, "all raised to the power of 10" means 10 is the exponent, like this: (gain/20)10
Whoops.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021