Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: preferred wav-editing programs? (Read 3636 times) previous topic - next topic

preferred wav-editing programs?

I've used EAC's wav editing program since 2001 and have been quite comfortable with it. I'm aware that it is likely slower and less powerful than other options but I've been able to do what I want with it and haven't felt significant incentive to explore other options. Now, since EAC crashes upon opening any file dialog box in Win7 x64, I can't choose to "process wav" and am a bit more interested in looking for alternatives. (if you want to discuss the EAC crash problem, please do it on the other thread, this thread should be about wav editing programs)

EAC's wav editor can display normal or spectral view, can zoom in horizontally (in time) and vertically (in amplitude), and if zoomed in enough will show individual samples and can directly edit their values by dragging the sample or by double-clicking and then typing in a value.
I'm able to cut or delete sections, paste sections of audio, and do basic fade work.
One thing that EAC has that I really like is the blue vertical lines to indicate a cd-audio block (every 588 samples of audio).

I've tried Audacity a couple of times and it's more flexible but I've never been impressed with its usability, and it wouldn't save bit-for-bit equivalent wav files if I ran through the same operations twice in a row exactly the same. The program may have improved by now. The only other program I tried was Nero's wav editor but I have little experience with it.
God kills a kitten every time you encode with CBR 320

Reply #1
I've tried Audacity a couple of times and it's more flexible but I've never been impressed with its usability, and it wouldn't save bit-for-bit equivalent wav files if I ran through the same operations twice in a row exactly the same. The program may have improved by now. The only other program I tried was Nero's wav editor but I have little experience with it.

It's been mentioned that Audacity defaults to 32 bit floating point format.  If you set the prefs to 16 fixed point it may be better at saving bit-for-bit the same as there won't be dither.

The other one I use is Cool Edit.  I don't know where you buy it now as it's been acquired by a few companies.

I don't think either can display block boundaries, but Audacity is pretty scriptable, so maybe someone has done it.

Another major product is Sony Sound Forge which I've never used.  It's a pro product, but  there's also a lite version.

Reply #2
The other one I use is Cool Edit.  I don't know where you buy it now as it's been acquired by a few companies.

It's been acquired by Adobe and rebranded as Audition. Still a great wave editor with numerous improvements compared to CoolEdit. For a person interested in wave editing only it may be too much though, because the multi-track part is really huge. Adobe has also a lightweight editor called Soundbooth. AFAIR it is intended more to people who want to achieve results withou having a deep understanding of sound processing, like video editors.
Ceterum censeo, there should be an "%is_stop_after_current%".

Reply #3
Steinberg Wavelab is very good. There's also a lite version