Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP4/AAC decoding glitches in foobar2000 1.1.3 (Read 4460 times) previous topic - next topic

MP4/AAC decoding glitches in foobar2000 1.1.3

Hey guys,

I found two possibly related errors in the MP4/AAC decoder of foobar2000 1.1.3.

1. At the beginning of every file, several milliseconds of audio are not played back. This is especially noticable when dealing with a DJ mix which is seperated into multiple files, each file starting exactly on a drum beat.

2. When playback gets to the end of a file, the console output reports as follows (note the frame numbers):
Code: [Select]
Decoding error: Unsupported format or corrupted file, frame: 11344 of 11343

That "frame: x+1 of x" pattern is consistent across all files I tested. This error is also shown in a message window when converting such a file to another format.

Both errors do not occur in other formats. I don't know whether they occur in Quicktime-encoded files or with other formats in an MP4 container as all my files are encoded with Nero AAC. However, the behaviour seems to be independent on the Nero encoder version number and the AAC mode. See the lists below for things I tested or did not test.

What I tested:
- Non-AAC formats: MP3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, Musepack - no errors occurred
- AAC modes: LC, HE, HEv2 - both errors occur in all cases
- Nero encoder versions: 1.1.34.2, 1.3.3.0, 1.5.4.0 - both errors occur in all cases

What I did not test (but may be important):
- Non-AAC formats inside an MP4 container
- Quicktime AAC files

My system:
Windows 7 x64, foobar2000 1.1.3, empty DSP chain
Nothing is impossible if you don't need to do it yourself.

Reply #1
Thanks for the report, the problem is being looked into, looks like certain unimportant changes between 1.1.2 and 1.1.3 have unwanted side effects. A new version correcting this will be out as soon as possible.
We are the bork. Your software bugs will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Reply #2
Thanks for the quick reply (and the software, of course). I forgot to point out that I upgraded from 1.1.1 to 1.1.3, so I don't know whether these errors might already have occurred in 1.1.2.
Good bug-hunting!
Nothing is impossible if you don't need to do it yourself.

Reply #3
It did not occur in 1.1.2. If you can obtain a copy of 1.1.2 somewhere, please stick with it while I'm working on the issue.

Update: foobar2000.org downloads reverted to 1.1.2 temporarily.
We are the bork. Your software bugs will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Reply #4
I also got a crash on decoding AAC track, I remember I submitted the crash log but it was on my work computer so I can't access it now.

Reply #5
Fixed, please get 1.1.4. Thanks for all your feedback.

I also got a crash on decoding AAC track, I remember I submitted the crash log but it was on my work computer so I can't access it now.

Same bug more or less, fixed too.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021