Skip to main content

Topic: DSP chain [de]serialization helper (Read 15089 times) previous topic - next topic

• Yegor
  • [*][*][*][*]
  • Developer
DSP chain [de]serialization helper

DSP chain serialization helper

This helper is useful for sharing of chain presets between different Foobar2000 installations and users.

Hold Shift to access its commands in the Playback menu:

Files produced by the helper have fbcp extension.

The component: [ Specified attachment is not available ][source code]
  • Last Edit: 21 February, 2011, 12:44:23 PM by Entrase

• Sandrine
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #1

DSP chain serialization helper

This helper is useful for sharing of chain presets between different Foobar2000 setups.

Hold Shift to access its commands in the Playback menu:

Files produced by the helper have fbcp extension.

The component: (Attachment Link) [source code]

What's the difference between this and exporting/importing DSP profiles?

• Yegor
  • [*][*][*][*]
  • Developer
Reply #2
May be none at all if such a feature really exists. As “developer”, it's awkward for me to ask but... How do you export/import these profiles anyway?

• foosion
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Sandrine: This component can store a DSP chain configuration in a separate file, whereas the DSP chain management in the foobar2000 preferences stores DSP chains in the foobar2000 configuration. This component can be used to transfer DSP chain configurations between different foobar2000 installations.

Entrase: May I suggest to rename the "DSP chain serializer" menu entry to "DSP chain"? It's simpler and less technical.

Also the menu entries show as "Load..." and "Save as..." in the menu and "Load" and "Save" in the keyboard shortcuts. Is there a reason why you chose to present the names differently? Maybe consider calling them "Import..." and "Export..." to emphasize there is no inherent connection between the current DSP chain and the last loaded/saved file.
http://foosion.foobar2000.org/ - my components for foobar2000

• Yirkha
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
It would be a good idea to handle possible IO exceptions during file operations.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

• Sandrine
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Sandrine: This component can store a DSP chain configuration in a separate file, whereas the DSP chain management in the foobar2000 preferences stores DSP chains in the foobar2000 configuration. This component can be used to transfer DSP chain configurations between different foobar2000 installations.

Ah, right. For a moment there my memory played tricks on me and I thought that the presets were saved to actual files instead of core.cfg, much like in the kx driver.

• Yegor
  • [*][*][*][*]
  • Developer
Reply #6
May I suggest to rename the "DSP chain serializer" menu entry to "DSP chain"? It's simpler and less technical.
Actually there was "DSP chain" until I released the component. It was an internal tool for testing of an effect adapter. The problem is that "DSP chain" is esentially the same as "DSP settings" in the given context.
Also the menu entries show as "Load..." and "Save as..." in the menu and "Load" and "Save" in the keyboard shortcuts. Is there a reason why you chose to present the names differently?
There were some thoughts but I'm not sure about them :-D Yes, these entries should be...
"Import..." and "Export..."
It would be a good idea to handle possible IO exceptions during file operations.
It'd be excellent idea. I just didn't bother doing it in a little dev utility that nobody needs. May be it's not so useless after all :)

Perhaps it also needs some kind of a warning to show if a DSP is missing.

• Last Edit: 21 February, 2011, 12:45:49 PM by Entrase

• servimo
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #7
For me does not show in the playback menu or elsewhere. I can't find it.
  • Last Edit: 01 June, 2011, 08:49:42 AM by servimo

• tpijag
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
All menus [main and context] are abbreviated unless you use Shift+key.
In this case, Shift + Playback

• Typhoon859
  • [*]
Reply #9
Perhaps I am just slow but I still don't really get how to use it.  I don't see it anywhere and holding shift anywhere or pressing anything while holding shift doesn't do anything.  Thanks!

• Typhoon859
  • [*]
Reply #10
Anybody could help me out?

Sorry for reviving an old thread and now double-posting XD