Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC Compression ratios (Read 19475 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC Compression ratios

Reply #25
But why the hell are conversion parameters identified by"..." in the context menu?????
They are there so that you can "roll you own" conversion in terms of output format, destination, processing and "other" settings. Bear in mind that you will probably have to make sure that any processing is disabled for each preset that you have created (and remember to save the preset....).

FLAC Compression ratios

Reply #26
I forgot to mention I'm not willing to upgrade to v1.1.2 beta 4, because this will expire after 4 weeks (unless I misinterpreted something).

By that time, there will either be a new beta or the final version. That's how they handle development/releases.

Thanks. It's OK now anyway with 1.1.1

FLAC Compression ratios

Reply #27
But why the hell are conversion parameters identified by"..." in the context menu?????
They are there so that you can "roll you own" conversion in terms of output format, destination, processing and "other" settings. Bear in mind that you will probably have to make sure that any processing is disabled for each preset that you have created (and remember to save the preset....).

Thanks, Nick. I realize that. I was just talking about the use of 3 dots instead of an explicit string like "Parameters".

FLAC Compression ratios

Reply #28
Because it's not "Parameters" ?

FLAC Compression ratios

Reply #30
I was just talking about the use of 3 dots instead of an explicit string like "Parameters".

+1
I think I follow the original intention: "Convert" > "..." being equivalent to "Convert..." but it just looks strange.

How about "Convert" > "Setup..." or "Convert" > "Converter Setup..."?

BTW, stable of 1.1.2 is already out:

http://www.foobar2000.org/download

FLAC Compression ratios

Reply #31
I was just talking about the use of 3 dots instead of an explicit string like "Parameters".

+1
I think I follow the original intention: "Convert" > "..." being equivalent to "Convert..." but it just looks strange.

How about "Convert" > "Setup..." or "Convert" > "Converter Setup..."?

BTW, stable of 1.1.2 is already out:

http://www.foobar2000.org/download

Any of the 2 proposals would suit me. Thx for the download link. I'm gonna start a new thread about a couple of cosmetic mods I'd like to suggest.
Since those mods strictly have to do with foobar, not flac, I will post in the relevant forum.
JJ

FLAC Compression ratios

Reply #34
Uh-oh, what if it's left on by accident?

foo_input_dts will decode DTS-WAV files to plain WAV (LPCM), and foo_hdcd will decode 16-bit HDCD-WAV to 20bit WAV.

FLAC Compression ratios

Reply #36
and "Additional decoding" is off.

File size will be bigger and bit rate will be higher. My 2 cents, I'm not an expert. I'll be glad to see an authoritative answer.

foo_input_dts will decode DTS-WAV files to plain WAV (LPCM), and foo_hdcd will decode 16-bit HDCD-WAV to 20bit WAV.

Will this be a problem if I was converting non-DTS-WAV and non-HDCD files?  I did quite a bit of ape/wv/etc files (standard CD audio, 16-bit / 44.1 kHz) to flac without realizing 'Additional decoding' was on.  Is the audio actually changed somehow?  Or is the file size just bigger?  Originally, I did not have the DTS or HDCD components installed.  At some point I chose to install them and never thought to re-check the converter options.  I hope I don't need to go back and figure out which files need to be re-done, yikes!

Thanks! 
I want NBC's Ed on DVD/Blu-ray!

FLAC Compression ratios

Reply #37
Will this be a problem if I was converting non-DTS-WAV and non-HDCD files?

No. Moreover, only flac and wavpack input plugins can utilize this additional decoding.

FLAC Compression ratios

Reply #38
Will this be a problem if I was converting non-DTS-WAV and non-HDCD files?

No. Moreover, only flac and wavpack input plugins can utilize this additional decoding.

Thanks!
I want NBC's Ed on DVD/Blu-ray!