Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Low Bitrate Codec? (Read 2774 times) previous topic - next topic

Low Bitrate Codec?

I need some opinions. I am working on embedding a loop into my webpage, and I have many dialup, or low bandwith viewers in the states and UK. I am very impressed with Gark's ~4kbps ogg files, and I have found JOrbis: http://www.jcraft.com/jorbis/
which plays vorbis files to boot.

I am wondering if there are any good alternatives to ogg for extremely low (4-36kbit/sec) bitrate audio? I know preprocessing is a big part of compressibility, but I'd like to know I was using the best codec possible.

Low Bitrate Codec?

Reply #1
I am wondering if there are any good alternatives to ogg for extremely low (4-36kbit/sec) bitrate audio? I know preprocessing is a big part of compressibility, but I'd like to know I was using the best codec possible.

AAC+ will probably sound much better than that, but it's not available yet. Nero Digital is supposed to be released in this quarter which lasts until June... 
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen
BLUEZZ BASTARDZZ - "That lil' ol' ZZ Top cover band from Hamburg..."
INDIGO ROCKS - "Down home rockin' blues. Tasty as strudel."

Low Bitrate Codec?

Reply #2
If you are embedding voice into your webpage, then you should consider using Speex.

EDIT: (Just so you know)
Speex is an Open Source/Free Software patent-free audio compression format designed for speech.

Speex is [...] designed to compress voice at bitrates ranging from 2 to 44 kbps.
Hard work might not kill you, but why take any chances?