Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 3.5mm jack 24/96 question (Read 3719 times) previous topic - next topic

3.5mm jack 24/96 question

are 3.5mm jacks capable of supporting 24/96 and/or 24/192 resolutions? i'm about to buy the E-MU 0202 USB for vinyl ripping, but the only way I'd be able to connect my preamp up to it is from an adapter converting RCA to 3.5mm. if this doesn't support 24/192 or eve 24/96 then it's pointless for me to get it. any help?

as far as the EMU 0202 goes. I can pick it up on my lunch hour today for $125. I could also get the EMU 0404 for $199 (about $100 off normal retail price), but it would have to be shipped and I'm not sure if I really need to go that route if I'm mostly using this for vinyl ripping alone. suggestions welcome.

thanks!

Reply #2
Anything coming into the device is analog and so the "24/96" concept doesn't apply.  You would be fine connecting your pre-amp tape-outs to the device using RCA-to-TRS cables: one per channel.  What comes out of the device and goes to your PC is digital and ideas like 24/96 then apply.

Here is an example of the cable:
http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CPR-203-Audio-c...447&sr=1-13

Both devices are a little less expensive on Amazon.  Also, Amazon says there is a new version of the 0202 called the 0204 if you are interested.

Reply #3
well, I'm in Canada so conversion has to be looked at, plus cost of shipping from those places whereas I can get the 0202 just down the road on my lunch hour and, if needed/wanted, the 0404 with free shipping.

thanks!

Reply #4
The jack size isn't relevant to bit depth or sample rate, although going through adapters can means some loss in signal strength and some additional noise. If the connections are solid, it should not be a problem, however.
What is pointless is recording from LPs at a greater bit depth than 16 and especially at a higher sample rate. There is ;nothing to capture below about 12 bits and a  44.1kHz sample rate will get everything you could possibly hear.

Reply #5
I'm not sure about it being 12 bits since the noise from the reproduction of vinyl likely has a different color from that resulting from quantization.  We discussed this a while back concerning the digitization of analog tape, but I suspect that vinyl will be no different.  That said, I fully support the comments that 16/44.1 is far more than adequate for vinyl reproduction as a delivery format.  I am also skeptical that it is necessary to record vinyl at something higher in order to ensure against losses incurred during editing.

Reply #6
The 0404 performs excellently via the 3.5 mm jack - RMAA here

I've read some reports that some of the 0202 parts are not all that durable (e.g. the pots will eventually become problematic).  Other than that, it should perform well.