Skip to main content

Topic: Re-encoding flac files to "enforce" Replaygain (Read 2131 times) previous topic - next topic

• gaius
  • [*]
Re-encoding flac files to "enforce" Replaygain
Since I am yet to find a good network server which can apply Replaygain to the flac files being streamed, I was thinking of re-encoding all files, while enforcing a shift in loudness matching the value in each file's Replaygain tag.

Can this be done without losing any information on the lossless files, both the audio (apart from the +-db shift, of course) and tags? Would the loudness shift adulterate the audio, e.g clipping, etc?

cheers,
gaius

• gaius
  • [*]
Reply #1
Btw, there's another thread discussing volume normalization.
Here I'm thinking specifically about replaygain loudness shifting, so there shouldn't be any dynamic range compression.

But will the re-encoding process alter the audio (waveform) information?

• saratoga
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Can this be done without losing any information on the lossless files, both the audio (apart from the +-db shift, of course) and tags? Would the loudness shift adulterate the audio, e.g clipping, etc?

Applying replaygain will introduce some minor rounding error, so its not lossless.  A single bit of rounding error is generally accepted to be inaudible though, so I do not think it would reduce quality. 

Reply #3
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.