Skip to main content

Topic: QAAC: discussion, questions, feature requests, etc. (Read 384627 times) previous topic - next topic

• LigH
  • [*][*][*]
Re: QAAC: discussion, questions, feature requests, etc.
Reply #1075
@nu774:

You once released this x64DLLs archive, 5 years ago ... maybe it's time to update it, if available (BTW, are there now even more supported formats in the meantime?), and possibly even for both bitnesses, a wholesome "lossless DLLs" archive? Just a suggestion, because ... I just had some minor efforts grabbing current 32 bit DLLs as well; still searching for an official source of libsndfile-1.dll (the one included in MSYS2 of MABS, v1.0.28, is not recognized, and erikd only releases sources).

Ah, wait, there are mega-nerd downloads. As installer. The included files work with qaac.

Attached my selection.
  • Last Edit: 15 November, 2017, 03:49:44 PM by LigH
http://forum.gleitz.info - das deutsche doom9/Gleitz-Forum

• nu774
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer
Reply #1076
(the one included in MSYS2 of MABS, v1.0.28, is not recognized, and erikd only releases sources).
As far as I can see, libsndfile-1.dll, libFLAC-8.dll and libwavpack-1.dll of MSYS2 all work fine with qaac.
If it didn't work for you, chances are that you didn't copy all of dependency libraries of libsndfile-1.dll
(You need libFLAC-8.dll, libogg-0.dll, libspeex1-dll, libvorbis-0.dll, libvorbisenc-2.dll, and libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll. Therefore, it's easier to just  add mingw32/mingw64 bin directory of MSYS2 to the PATH).

I understand that correcting every DLLs requires some efforts, but I also don't want to distribute my own copies of them, since I cannot promise you to keep them updated.

• LigH
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #1077
Apparently there are also other software authors who do, like stax76 does for StaxRip-x64.

But another user reported in the German doom9/Gleitz board that he gets "ERROR: 193: CoreAudioToolbox.dll" when running "qaac64 --check" with the "makeportable" results of different more recent iTunes64 installers; only an older version from 2015 seems to work for him. Could you explain what this error is supposed to mean?

I don't get this error with the most recent iTunes64 installer version 12.7.1.14, running fine under Windows 7 SP1 x64.

• nu774
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer
Reply #1078
But another user reported in the German doom9/Gleitz board that he gets "ERROR: 193: CoreAudioToolbox.dll" when running "qaac64 --check" with the "makeportable" results of different more recent iTunes64 installers; only an older version from 2015 seems to work for him. Could you explain what this error is supposed to mean?
193 is ERROR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT.
This error happens when qaac64.exe can find only 32bit CoreAudio DLLs.
If the user has correctly copied QTfiles64 and still see that error, then I don't know.

• LigH
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #1079
So it might have been a mistake of e.g. accidently copying from an extracted QTFiles directory into an existing QTFiles64 ... OK, surely a helpful analysis.
_

P.S.: Apparently the used makeportable batch was too old (in 2014, it could only handle 32-bit installers; the 2015 update supports iTunes 64-bit correctly).
  • Last Edit: 17 November, 2017, 09:40:25 AM by LigH

Reply #1080
From the Qaac wiki examples page https://github.com/nu774/qaac/wiki/Examples I refer to the artwork quote:

If you have folder.jpg (or something) in your encoding destination folder, and want to embed it to the result, use the setting like following:

-V 127 --artwork folder.jpg -o %d -

I have a folder.jpg in my source folder (surely the more likely scenario) and not in my target folder (as it will get embedded, right?). How is this possilbe? If not in Qaac I don't see it possible in Foobar.

• nu774
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer
Reply #1081
I have a folder.jpg in my source folder (surely the more likely scenario) and not in my target folder (as it will get embedded, right?). How is this possilbe? If not in Qaac I don't see it possible in Foobar.
You are right. In other words, the example is useless in a typical scenario.
Then you may ask, why the example is written that way?
Because, it's impossible to tell source folder path to the encoder unless foobar2000 support it (in the command line encoder setting).
From the encoder (qaac) perspective, it is executed in the destination folder and source PCM is coming via anonymous pipe from some unknown place. There's no way to know where the source file is, or even whether source is a file.

Reply #1082
You are right. In other words, the example is useless in a typical scenario.
Then you may ask, why the example is written that way?
Because, it's impossible to tell source folder path to the encoder unless foobar2000 support it (in the command line encoder setting).
From the encoder (qaac) perspective, it is executed in the destination folder and source PCM is coming via anonymous pipe from some unknown place. There's no way to know where the source file is, or even whether source is a file.

I had a feeling you would say that. It looks like Foobar doesn't have the facility to embed the Artwork from the source folder.jpg file when converting. I'll have to continue my quest for an encoder for the job  :'(

• xerces8
  • [*]
Reply #1083
Does the --threading option work?
It does not seem to do anything.
I use: qaac64 --threading -d o\  i\*.wav

There does not seem to be any use of multithreading. The CPU usage is as without the option.

I use version 2.64 and iTunes 12

• LigH
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #1084
IIRC, it means: Use a separate thread for the file access. So reading the input won't block the encoding. But the difference may hardly be measurable if the disk access is quite fast.

• lvqcl
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer
Reply #1085
QuickTime/CoreAudio encoder itself always works on a single thread.
When --threading option of qaac is set, encoder and decoder/DSP run on two different threads (one thread for each).
Therefore, --threading will give you faster speed only when you do some heavy work on decoder/DSP side.