Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I need help for a .flac player (Read 8607 times) previous topic - next topic

I need help for a .flac player

Hello everybody.
At first, i want to excuse me for my English that is not perfect because i'm french. 

As you can see in the title, i'm asking for a new player for my Sennheiser HD25-1 II. I have some constraints for sure as you can see :
- Compatible with flac
- High capacity, as 32go or more (or little intern flash memory, but with SD slot ).
- If SD Slot, please the possibility to mix the files in just one list. I don't wan't to search my albums between the SD card or the flash intern memory like if they were in two differents folder.
- between 150€-200€ max (200$ - 270$)
- I don't need any features like video/photo/FM etc… The audio will be the only use.
- A little size, that can keep in my pocket without the impression to have a Nintendo DS in my pocket.

I don't know if the real player exist, but i want something that is not far from this description. For sure the most important elements are the flac compatibility and the price. I accept a player with 8go for example, if there is a SDHC Slot.

I will be really thankfull for your help, and i reapet, sorry for my english, i hope all is understandable 
Macbook Pro -> FLAC -> Sennheiser HD25-1 II

Reply #1
sansa clip+

8gb is the maximum capacity but it has a micro sdhc slot.

Reply #2
I recommend the Cowon J3:

http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/CO...duct_page_1.php

- Compatible with flac

Wide codecs support, including FLAC.

- High capacity, as 32go or more (or little intern flash memory, but with SD slot ).

Comes in different capacities, including 32 GB. It also, has a MicroSDHC slot.

- If SD Slot, please the possibility to mix the files in just one list. I don't wan't to search my albums between the SD card or the flash intern memory like if they were in two differents folder.

The files are combined in the library view. However, folder navigation is supported too. It also has advanced search features.

- between 150€-200€ max (200$ - 270$)

You can get the 16 GB version for 185 quids:

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/M...layer.4273.html

- I don't need any features like video/photo/FM etc… The audio will be the only use.

You might change your mind after seeing the AMOLED screen.

- A little size, that can keep in my pocket without the impression to have a Nintendo DS in my pocket.

Very pocketable and the battery life is amazing.

Reply #3
The J3 is a bit too expansive, and i really don't need any of these features, i already have an iPhone 4.

The sansa clip plus seems to be good, but the battery life is a bit to low for me, i have seen on some test that, there only are 10 hours with only mp3, and the flac decrease completely these 10 hours. Thanks a lot, but these arn't the perfect player for me and my kind of utilisation.

I had a cowon D2 2 years ago, but i had so many problems with (the touch screen had problems, my lock key froze etc…) and in my memory, the intern memory and the sd list wasn't mixed and they were two different folder no. that's why i don't really wan to rebuy a D2+

Reply #5
I know rockbox a little , but i didn't know that it can increase the battery life. So with this FW, we can go up to 16/17 hours reading .flac files ?! That could be a good point for my future choice.

Reply #6
The sansa clip plus seems to be good, but the battery life is a bit to low for me, i have seen on some test that, there only are 10 hours with only mp3, and the flac decrease completely these 10 hours. Thanks a lot, but these arn't the perfect player for me and my kind of utilisation.

The Sansa Fuze (or fuze+)  has a bigger battery and longer play time than the clip+.

Reply #7
I think the Sansa clip + coresspond much in what i expect from this player, the fuze looks likes a bit too big.
So the clip + is the one i keep my eyes on, but the little problem for me is the battery. But if rockboxed, it can go up to 17 hours, it's an answer to this problem… I think it will be my choice, the price is so good and the quality seems to be perfect for an audiophile

Reply #8
if your iPhone has sufficient capacity for carrying music, why not suck it up, bow to Apple and just transcode your FLAC tracks to Apple's lossless format?
God kills a kitten every time you encode with CBR 320

Reply #9
I think the Sansa clip + coresspond much in what i expect from this player, the fuze looks likes a bit too big.

OK.  In your first post you said you would consider a player with SDHC, but Nintendo DS was too big. 

I don't think you'll find anything with an SD size slot as small as a Fuze.  It is less than 1/10 the volume and 1/3 the weight of a DS.

Given you aren't interested in video, clip vs fuze is a tradeoff of display (for album art or tags), battery life, and maybe output power vs size.

Reply #10
I Already have a flac player on my iPhone 4, but the problem still the battery, i can't really listen to music with this phone.

Clip vs Fuze seems to be equal in all points, but the fuze still 40€ more than de clip, the price of the micro SDHC. I don't say that the fuze is too expansive, but there, for the same price i can buy clip + 32go.

Reply #11
I have a rockboxed clip+  (2GB+8GBµSD) and my typical runtimes are about 20hours with flac files (compressed with flaCUDA -14). The only drawback at the moment is the USB port driver not working when in rockbox, so you have to boot into official firmware to put new music on the internal memory. Since I use the µSD only, I just use a cardreader.

Reply #12
Clip vs Fuze seems to be equal in all points, but the fuze still 40€ more than de clip,

If that were true here, they'd be paying me to take a clip.

Reply #13
I'd check progress on the Rockbox ports for more modern-day iPods. Some of these seem to be quite usable already.

Reply #14
I'd check progress on the Rockbox ports for more modern-day iPods. Some of these seem to be quite usable already.

None have card slots, so that would mean a 32gb touch ($$) or a classic (size and $$).  From what I read the project for the classic is sort of a splinter group.  The most current status on their web page indicates playback stuttering and no power management (so reduced battery life).    I don't know of any project for rockbox on the touch.
freemyipod.org

Reply #16
Is the fact that the iPod Touch not mentioned anywhere mean that it is not supported?

Nop., is there any reason why you must have lossless?  I'm not trying to bait you into a TOS8 violation; instead I think you should understand that we see many people coming to this forum thinking they need lossless when they really don't and that the only way to know for sure that you can tell the difference between the two is to conduct a double-blind test.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=16295

Reply #18
greynol : I listening to flac for 3 or 4 years, so i really don't want to reencode all my albums in .ogg for example.
I ear the difference between the 2 because i'm musician (so i practice my ear everytime) and because i have a good audio system. I think, that it's not because we are in the street, or in the car, that we can't listen to good audio. for sure .ogg is a good choice too, but the reason still the same : all my albums are in .flac

Reply #19
I listening to flac for 3 or 4 years, so i really don't want to reencode all my albums in .ogg for example.

You mean Vorbis? Ogg is a container format and not a codec. FYI, FLAC can be placed in an ogg container too- it is call Ogg FLAC.

I ear the difference between the 2 because i'm musician (so i practice my ear everytime) and because i have a good audio system. I think, that it's not because we are in the street, or in the car, that we can't listen to good audio.

Are you sure it is not Placebo? In order to claim something like this on this board, you need to prove it with an ABX test as per TOS #8.

for sure .ogg is a good choice too, but the reason still the same : all my albums are in .flac

This is a valid reason. However, especially for a portable, it is always a trade off between quality and space.

Reply #20
ogg vorbis yes, sorry for my "mistake".

I have nothing to prove cpchan, i listen music for my pleasure, and i don't want to prove here that i can ear the difference between two codec, it's not my aim by coming here. I remember that i make some blindtest on foobarr2000 when i had a computer on windows (maybe 2 years ago), and on ± 30 test between a flac and a ogg vorbis codec (i don't really remember all the specificities) i think i recognize ±20-25 times the flac and the ogg. The same test was made with flac and mp3, and i recognize all the times the flac (i make on or two mistake).

I always make the choice of the quality, and not the space. I prefer listen 16go of very good quality of music (flac, ogg vorbis), than 16go in mp3 128kb/s.