Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: good sub-$150 headphones for classical music? (Read 3566 times) previous topic - next topic

good sub-$150 headphones for classical music?

My old Sennheiser PX100s are starting to sound worn out, what to get next?
I listen to a lot of classical music so I want reasonably clear & natural sounding open-air headphones in the lower price range. I sadly absolutely can't afford anything more than around $150.

I'd normally just get another PX100 pair since mine work great for the price, but they have been discontinued and whoever is selling them on Amazon marked them up at least $30 higher than original. The new model PX100-ii seems like it would be similar, but some reviews say it has too much bass, which turns me off a bit.

If such cans don't exist, feel free to recommend something a little more expensive, that I can save up for in the next few months (not years! .

Thanks!

Reply #1
I always recommend that people go to an audio store and listen before buying headphones or speakers (if you are going to be picky about sound  ).

GoodCans.com[/color] has some good recommendations.

I have a pair of Grado SR225s which I like.  The SR225 is slightly above your price range (~$200 USD), but all Grados seem to have a reputation for being one of the best in their price range.

I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD280s (~$100).  I wouldn't rate them quite as highly as the Grado, but they also have a reputation for being one of the best in their price range. (They are "closed".)

Reply #2
You can still get the first generation of the PX100s on ebay.  I bought an extra pair for $20 recently.  They still can be had for cheap if they've worked for you in the past.
foobar2000, FLAC, and qAAC -V90
It just works people!

Reply #4
After seeing a lot of recommendations, I recently went with the Superfi HD 668B and sprang for the nicer velour AKG pads for them (which were almost as much as the phones!). I must say that they are a bargain. Search and you will find many reviews.

Reply #5
If you like the sound of PX100 then a very noticeable upgrade (sound-wise) would be HD 238. They're still portable, although not collapsible. They still have exaggerated bass (pleasant-sounding unlike PX100) but they have much better treble compared to PX100. They're $70 in US (unfortunately like $110 here in Europe).
Or did you want large (indoor) headphones?

Reply #6
After seeing a lot of recommendations, I recently went with the Superfi HD 668B and sprang for the nicer velour AKG pads for them (which were almost as much as the phones!). I must say that they are a bargain. Search and you will find many reviews.

Excellent choice! Superuxes really are amazing headphones for classical.

Too bad thomann.de (THE place to buy them in Europe) just run out of them and removed them from their web page (temporally, I hope  ). Before the removal they had date 23.12. for new patch arrival.

Reply #7
My old Sennheiser PX100s are starting to sound worn out, what to get next?
I listen to a lot of classical music so I want reasonably clear & natural sounding open-air headphones in the lower price range. I sadly absolutely can't afford anything more than around $150.

I'd normally just get another PX100 pair since mine work great for the price, but they have been discontinued and whoever is selling them on Amazon marked them up at least $30 higher than original. The new model PX100-ii seems like it would be similar, but some reviews say it has too much bass, which turns me off a bit.

If such cans don't exist, feel free to recommend something a little more expensive, that I can save up for in the next few months (not years! .

Thanks!

I have PX100 too. They're okay for portable but hardly great?

The obvious answer to your query is: AKG K601. Well recommended and superb value. Above your $ range I know but maybe 2nd hand? People who own these tend to look after them.