Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Recording sound output and mic simulatneously (Read 2832 times) previous topic - next topic

Recording sound output and mic simulatneously

My integrated laptop sound card allows for recording either the microphone input or the sound output, but not the two simultaneously (like it was possible on my old machine).  Is there a software based solution that would let me record both at the same time, which is compatible with any recording program (need to use it with voip)?  OS: WinXP.

Reply #1
My integrated laptop sound card allows for recording either the microphone input or the sound output, but not the two simultaneously (like it was possible on my old machine).  Is there a software based solution that would let me record both at the same time, which is compatible with any recording program (need to use it with voip)?  OS: WinXP.

Mine (in a desktop, not a laptop, but is there a difference between the two, in this aspect?), working in WinXP, sound controlled by the “Vinyl Six-Trac Audio” “vinyl97.sys” sound driver, lets me record both at the same time, without any supplementary software. In my case, to select “Stereo Mixer” in the “Recording” section and not to forget unchecking “Mic Mute” in the “Playback” section. Mixing levels with the “Sound” and “Mic” sliders. To avoid loud reproduction of the mixed sound, I switch off the loudspeakers button on the amp (listening through headphones can be done as usual).

Reply #3
Well, the difference is not in desktop vs laptop but in that my sound card is crappier than yours.  If I record from stereo mix, then recording from microphone is automatically turned off.  The microphone cannot be automatically echoed back to speakers (i.e. no microphone volume level controller in the playback section). 

So I was wondering if there is a way to make simultaneous recording of the two sources possible with some software.

I have a  microphone built into my webcam as well, so perhaps I could record from that and from stereo mix (these are two separate audio devices) at the same time somehow.

I'm trying to transmit everything that's played back through a voip program, while using the microphone.  The program actually has built-in support for this (with echo cancellation), but the support is based on recording from stereo mix, so as soon as I turn it on, the microphone gets muted.

Reply #4
Andy, do you know of any free programs like that?

Reply #5
There is “JetAudio Plus VX”
http://www.jetaudio.com/products/jetaudio/
mixing section of the recording module that lets (with my desktop’s motherboard and its software) make mixing recordings, even with “Mic Mute” in the “Playback” section. But its free (“Basic”) version lets do only for ten seconds. If 10 seconds of recording can be long enough for you to test, you’ll see whether “Plus VX” paid version (that lets do it for an unlimited time) can help you out of trouble in your case.