Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ripping DTS audio CD's (Read 7475 times) previous topic - next topic

ripping DTS audio CD's

I'm not sure where to post this, but someone could direct me there.
Anyway, I am hoping that perhaps someone knows how to rip DTS 5.1 CDs and knows of a format that I could then convert it to.  Would it be AC3?  Since DTS CDs contain multiple channels, I suppose Ac3 would be it??

[moderation]Moved from General. Next time post to the correct forum.
Please press ALT-F4 to improve your view

ripping DTS audio CD's

Reply #1
There's no pratical way to decode the DTS stream. The DTS formats is one of the most closed ever - no public available decoder, no specs, nothing.

So, it's pointless to rip it. You'll end up with some useless DTS Wav files.

ripping DTS audio CD's

Reply #2
If you have an external DTS decoder or a digital amplifier with DTS decoder, then you should be able to just rip the wave files and play them (without any DSP modification). The DTS decoder should detect the DTS stream and kick in. Since I do not own such a device, I cannot test it.

I have also heard that PowerDVD can play DTS-Wav files and output to a 5.1 capable sound card. However, the wave files must be burned on an audio cd - it will not accept wave files on a hard drive.

I do not know how to convert them to AC3. However, all DVDs with AC3 music I have heard, sounded terrible - I always chose stereo over AC3 for music-wise DVDs (not DVD-A). So I do not think converting the files to AC3 (if it could be done) would be wise.

ripping DTS audio CD's

Reply #3
As said, ripping is straightforward, as long as the ripper is accurate.

If you want to stream to a DTS decoder through SPDIF, and you are (presumably) using an NT5 OS, things get difficult. IIRC, there's a german guy around here who knows all ins/outs of bit-perfect playback. So do a search for "DTS" and "thomaspf".

ripping DTS audio CD's

Reply #4
Both WinDVD and PowerDVD can be used to playback the DTS-Wav files, but it is true they need to be burned to a disc for the player to recognize them, otherwise all you will hear is digital hiss.  These players will also pass the s/pdif stream in addition to doing this analog output, but as mentioned before it is pretty tricky in that if the kmangler (kmixer) gets ahold of the signal at any point on the way to the soundcard and messes with the data, or if any automatic resampling happens in the card the DTS signal is shot.  IIRC, some people were using ASIO drivers or kernel streaming to avoid this mess.  Oh and the M-Audio Revolution card will work for this, either analog out of s/pdif to a standalone or reciever decoder.  I'm sure its not the only card that can pass the signal, its just the only one I can name offhand that I know works whan configured properly.

ripping DTS audio CD's

Reply #5
I can read my dts ripped file directly from my hardisc. No prob.

I use a Pro HIFI-Link of Xitel to feed my AV/Receiver. Works fine.

ripping DTS audio CD's

Reply #6
well that sums it up for me.  it's just not practical as rjamorim said, especially since i only own one DTS cd.  too much trouble for just one CD.   

thanks folks! 
Please press ALT-F4 to improve your view

ripping DTS audio CD's

Reply #7
If it's possible to play it with PowerDVD, it it not possible to record with Total Recorder? I guess it depends on where the dts decoding takes place - in PowerDVD or on the soundcard.

ripping DTS audio CD's

Reply #9
Another way to convert DTS to Wav is to first convert the DTS to WMA Lossless, then convert WMA lossless to waves. 2 steps, but very easy, and it works with multichannel as well as stereo.

Mike