Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 (Read 12509 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000

Reply #25
I agree about floating windows, but perhaps they could stick to foobar's main window? Just like log window in burnatonce or dvddecrypter...

foobar2000

Reply #26
I don't have any clue how you would make a Foobar2000 plugin window "snap" to the main window.  Unless there's some way to recieve messages from the main window when it moves, it's not possible.

foobar2000

Reply #27
I don't have any clue how you would make a Foobar2000 plugin window "snap" to the main window.  Unless there's some way to recieve messages from the main window when it moves, it's not possible.

I mean that this could be another service in foobar (or part of modeless_dialog.c), which allows windows to register as "sticky" and main thread takes care about informing registered windows about main window movements, or something  But that's rather "bells and whistles" kind of feature

foobar2000

Reply #28

It would be a hack, which isn't allowed.

foobar2000

Reply #29
If Windows provides a valid way to be notified when a window is moved, then it's not a hack.

But replacing the windows procedure would, of course, be a hack.  I've done that to change the shuffle behavior (or rather, to add a new shuffle toggle to the menu, and to recieve messages when it's clicked), but it's a cheap hack.

Messer, I would indeed like to see something like that added to the SDK.

foobar2000

Reply #30

It would be a hack, which isn't allowed.

why aren't "hacks" not allowed?
Ok, I heared that zZzZzZz doesn't like such things, but since the WinAPI provides functions for doing such things, why is it bad to use them to improve a program even further?
If I would program a plugin and offer it to the public AND say that it could make foobar2000 unstable because of some rather low level system function and the downloader of the plugin accepts this, why is it still forbidden?

foobar2000

Reply #31
Because then people would use it and bitch at Peter when it screwed up their systems.  Using WINAPI functionality is legal (and necessary) in a plugin.  It's just not acceptable to do things which are likely to break in future versions.

foobar2000

Reply #32
If I recall correctly, Peter once mentioned that he missed crossfading as well, so it's possible that he might add it at some point in the future. (Probably not this week, though )

Something like this would probably need to be implemented in the actual output plugin, though, so I don't think we'll be seeing a quick drop-in plugin to do it for us.

Awesome!  It just mading seeking sound so much smoother. Of course a toolbar with a seek bar on would be useful for that but I can only hope....

Keep smiling people, I'm sure there's a link between happiness and longevity.
superdumprob

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" - Albert Einstein

foobar2000

Reply #33
Keep smiling people, I'm sure there's a link between happiness and longevity.

As well as cats and this forum.... behold another mystery!!

foobar2000

Reply #34

foobar2000

Reply #35
What can I say? I like cats. It was a picture of Homer briefly but I found a nice picture of a kitten so I went for that instead. If I can get a good picture of my cat then she'll go up on here...
superdumprob

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" - Albert Einstein

foobar2000

Reply #36
I don't actually like floating windows.    If I was going to use it constantly, I'd want it to be part of the main Window.  (I think it might be possible to do this, actually, but I'd have to look into the other UIs in the SDK to know for sure).

That's the problem with foo_stfu. I admit I don't really need to seek that often, and using keyboard shortcuts is so much easier

EDIT: Oops, I should've read the whole thread. I would have seen that floating windows have been discussed in more detail

MaxAuthority: Hacks are evil, because they rely on certain features of the main application, which could be changed by Peter without changing the API (and without notice). You could also have a different application loading a fb2k plugin, only the official API would be usable then.

foobar2000

Reply #37

Yup, that is how you do it! 

Subclass the main window and then add code to move your other windows depending upon the message you recieve.

P.S. Off the top of my head I think "WM_MOVE" is the message you are interested in...

Jamie

foobar2000

Reply #38
That's not entirely true. I'm pretty sure that Peter could implement a list-view using custom strings for each of the columns, and even allow adding and removing arbitrary columns. I don't see it happening, though. It would probably be a lot of work, and not really worth the time.

I thing playlist must be playlist !  Strings functionality is
enought (i want only integrated 'presets' of them )
But this list view must be in media library, there it will be very
useful. MediaLibrary must contains presets, playlists (and drug&drup
between MediaLibrary and main playlist), search engine (i have only it
), use masstagger and other functions that support playlist.

And, if main playlist will be support custom objects from other
plugins (like chekboxes for repeat, for crossfading and e.t.c.), it
will be very useful thing.

avanced maastagger: yes, no

yes, yes
but winamp2.9 masstagger support only ID3v1/2, not APE tags

I don't actually like floating windows.  If I was going to use it constantly, I'd want it to be part of the main Window.

I'm too

foobar2000

Reply #39

Yup, that is how you do it! 

Subclass the main window and then add code to move your other windows depending upon the message you recieve.

P.S. Off the top of my head I think "WM_MOVE" is the message you are interested in...

Jamie

I'm pretty sure that Peter would consider that a hack.  In addition, it doesn't work properly.  I've tried subclassing the Window for other reasons, and it seems rather selective about which messages actually make it through.  (WM_COMMAND never makes it through if you subclass in an initquit instance, though if you wait until later it can subclass with no problems)

edit:  If spying on resize messages is all you do, Peter might not consider it a hack, because that functionality won't change in future released.  I'm not sure if it would work properly, though, based on the aforementioned "missing message" behavior.

foobar2000

Reply #40

avanced maastagger: yes, no

yes, yes
but winamp2.9 masstagger support only ID3v1/2, not APE tags

have you used masstagger of foobar?

it is a Ferrari , "masstagger " of winamp has only the name of masstagger...
Music is my first love.

foobar2000

Reply #41
I'm pretty sure that Peter would consider that a hack.  In addition, it doesn't work properly.

Hmm, it's no hack since it is part of the Windows API.  Also, it's known to work since this is exactly how burnatonce does it.

You don't have to use this information, I was just trying to be helpful - I've never even used foobar...

Jamie

foobar2000

Reply #42
Hmm, it's no hack since it is part of the Windows API.  Also, it's known to work since this is exactly how burnatonce does it.

Well, there are a lot of things that the Windows API allows that are just hacks.    But like I said, this case shouldn't (wouldn't?) be considered a hack.

You don't have to use this information, I was just trying to be helpful - I've never even used foobar...

Blasphemy! 

foobar2000

Reply #43
Speaking of Cats, Dogz Rule! As you can see, cats can be extremely dangerous Cat Danger
Master of Fate. By Fate Mastered