Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Filter queries can be improved (Read 1466 times) previous topic - next topic

Filter queries can be improved

Filter queries in Library search input box or keyboard shortcuts action filter input box are sensitive on user input without providing delay interval. Parties concerned can be users with large libraries then users with components that offer additional keyboard shortcuts, so that when first letter is pressed program stops responding until filtering is finished. This issue is more obvious with slower machines.

I know the aim toward minimalism, but would prefer option for defining delay interval when filter actually responds or if that is out of question simple prolonged interval, so that user would have enough time to quickly enter second letter and so on before filter starts.

Yesterday I wrote this article: Tool-tips can be improved, now this one: please understand that my intentions are not to "critique" work done so far, nor I want pose replies as suggested in last reply in linked topic, the same as I don't want the opposite - arrogant replies out of topic, but I want this to be treated as reminder when developer revisits code parts containing mentioned issues in case this issues are not already observed

Filter queries can be improved

Reply #1
There's a saying in software development about optimizing your program:

1. Don't do it.
2. Don't do it yet.

In other words, one should fix real problems, not hypothetical ones.

I'm pretty sure Peter already knows about this general type of issue, and the filter boxes for Album List and Library Search already contain a (very) small delay. It should be enough.

Is it slow for you? For someone you know?