Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Error: Tool > Copy CD (Read 5137 times) previous topic - next topic

Error: Tool > Copy CD

I posted this on the EAC forum but there is not much action there.  Maybe someone here might have some insight.

In Windows 7 64bit I am getting an error when trying to use Tool > Copy CD

This is the error:

"Write error!

Cannot open toc file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Exact Audio Copy\cdrdao\cdrdao.toc' for reading: No such file or directory"

There is a cdrdao.exe in that location on my hard drive but no cdrdao.toc.

I did try EAC's internal burning engine as per greynol's suggestion and that did work to copy a CD.  But does not address the actual error specifically.

It was suggested that maybe I should install EAC into a different directory.  I do have a question about doing this.  If I uninstall EAC is it better to use its own uninstall.exe or to use Windows 7's Remove Program feature?  And would there be any extra that I should do if I were to do a clean reinstall?

Has anyone gotten EAC to run without Errors or issues in the Windows 7 64bit environment?  And more specifically in Windows 7 64bit in the "C:Program Files (x86)\EAC" directory?

Reply #1
You never answered my question in this post responding directly to your problem:
http://www.digital-inn.de/147529-post8.html

No, there is no extra you should do; just uninstall EAC through the normal means and reinstall.  You might be able to do it another way, but why bother when you know the former is the most proper way and will take all but five minutes of your time?

Reply #2
You never answered my question in this post responding directly to your problem:
http://www.digital-inn.de/147529-post8.html

No, there is no extra you should do; just uninstall EAC through the normal means and reinstall.  You might be able to do it another way, but why bother when you know the former is the most proper way and will take all but five minutes of your time?

I'm not sure exactly how to check those permissions to write to that folder.  I am assuming that .toc (table of contents) writes to the folder when you start the CD Copy process in EAC and that is why it is not there when I look. 

There are two ways that I know of to uninstall within Window 7.  I can go to Start > All Programs > Exact Audio Copy > Uninstall.  Or I can go Start > Control Panel > Programs (Uninstall a Program).  I was just asking here if there was a difference in uninstalling EAC with either of these options, and if one was better uninstall than the other.

Reply #3
It shouldn't matter, but I would go the Control Panel route.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I find it curious that someone who appears to have quite a limited understanding of how things work in Windows is interested in troubleshooting an aspect of EAC that is completely unnecessary.  EAC's internal burning engine works for you; use it.

Reply #4
I started with DOS years ago and was pretty up on Windows from 3.2 till about a year into Windows XPs release when I decided to take a break from Windows and use a different OS.  It is only recently that I'm back on a Windows PC with 7.  So yes, I'm having to learn Windows somewhat again.  I understand that some forums have a tendency to make those seeking help feel inadequate for not having the knowledge.

Why am I to know that this is a completely unnecessary, being new to EAC?  I'm getting an Error and thought I'd ask here if others might have some insight.

Reply #5
I understand that some forums have a tendency to make those seeking help feel inadequate for not having the knowledge.

People in forums usually grow tired of those who (1) ask questions that get answered on a very regular basis, (2) ignore/dismiss the answers given and then re-ask the question in hopes to get a different answer, and (3) don't show much interest in taking initiative.

Why am I to know that this is a completely unnecessary, being new to EAC?

Because you've been told as much on more than one occasion?  If you don't trust what I have to say then I'll stop trying to help.

To me it seems you have too large task ahead of you to be spinning your heels on minutia.

Reply #6
I understand that some forums have a tendency to make those seeking help feel inadequate for not having the knowledge.

People in forums usually grow tired of those who (1) ask questions that get answered on a very regular basis, (2) ignore/dismiss the answers given and then re-ask the question in hopes to get a different answer, and (3) don't show much interest in taking initiative.

I took the initiative to search here first before I asked for anyone else having this error and did not find one.  And since there is little action on the EAC forum where I initially asked thought I'd see if anyone here might have encountered this error and actually knew a positive solution.  greynol, you're really the only one that does answer and I do appreciate that.

Reply #7
There are two ways that I know of to uninstall within Window 7.  I can go to Start > All Programs > Exact Audio Copy > Uninstall.  Or I can go Start > Control Panel > Programs (Uninstall a Program).  I was just asking here if there was a difference in uninstalling EAC with either of these options, and if one was better uninstall than the other.
Control Panel simply launches an uninstaller (e.g. EAC's uninstall.exe) specified by the application during its installation, so it makes no difference.

Reply #8
I started with DOS years ago and was pretty up on Windows from 3.2 till about a year into Windows XPs release

Ok, I am nitpicking here, but Windows 3.2 never existed (There was 3.0, 3.1 and 3.11 for workgroups).

Also, I can understand that the jump from Windows XP to Vista/7 may add some confusion (There are not only visual/positioning changes, but also core changes in permissions and placement/location of files especially if it is an x64 version).
Yet, there has been the "Add/Remove" programs and the uninstallers in the Start menu since Wndows 95, so it is sort of strange that you ask if they are different just because you don't know Windows 7.

But now I believe you've got that clear.

Reply #10
Now that was helpful.  You guys are soooo helpful it's killing me.

Reply #11

Also, I can understand that the jump from Windows XP to Vista/7 may add some confusion (There are not only visual/positioning changes, but also core changes in permissions and placement/location of files especially if it is an x64 version).
Yet, there has been the "Add/Remove" programs and the uninstallers in the Start menu since Wndows 95, so it is sort of strange that you ask if they are different just because you don't know Windows 7.

I guess you feel pumped up to put someones memory on trial.  Excuse me for forgetting a number.
With all the problems I had with Windows in the past I was trying to remember if either way of uninstallation was better than the other, or left more stuff behind and required further cleanup.  If I remember correctly I thought that in the past some suggested one over the other.