Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC & lame MP3 & FLAC advice please (Read 4737 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC & lame MP3 & FLAC advice please

[font="Arial"][/font]
Hi everyone

I am new to getting the best out of EAC, although I have used it intermittently over the years with a low level of understanding about what I was actually achieving.

Past couple of days I have spent many hours Googling/reading etc & finally decided the "Uber standard" for using EAC to achieve high quality MP3 was the way to go for small size compressed files. Eventually got that working smoothly & log indicated all is well.

Then decided for archival purposes I ought to be able to use EAC with FLAC to achieve similar results. Again eventually managed to get that set-up working well.

So I thought: "this continual variation of the EAC setup to suit either MP3 or FLAC will eventually become a disaster for me, particularly when I am not using EAC every few days or so............ So why don't I arrange two EAC installations, one set for MP3 using the Uber Standard settings; and one for FLAC settings".
Well I tried that & it will not work, despite me pointing shortcuts to the different file positions for each EAC installation.
Clearly I am missing something fundamental but what?

Can anyone suggest a routine that will allow me to accomplish my aim or somthing very close?
I'd be most obliged.
BTW Uber Standard:http://www.uberstandard.org/ It's a great set up guide very thorough.

Best regards, Peter O[/color][color="#000000"][/color][size="4"][/size]

Reply #1
Use the EAC guides in the Wiki instead. Start here.

If you need EAC to output MP3 and FLAC, you can
1. try REACT
2. setup 2 EAC profiles, one for MP3 and another for FLAC.

Or you can rip to FLAC only and convert to MP3 with foobar2000 or LameDropXPd.

Reply #2
Uber Standard:http://www.uberstandard.org/ It's a great set up guide very thorough.
Actually its specifications, at least in prior incarnations, have been questioned by some users here--including in a discussion started by greynol, a moderator with considerable experience/knowledge of EAC and CD ripping.

greynol, are you a mod at the EAC forum too? It calls you a "Board-Inventar", which according to Google Translate from German means you're an inventory . . . or from 'auto-detected' Danish, board furniture.

Reply #3
greynol, are you a mod at the EAC forum too? It calls you a "Board-Inventar", which according to Google Translate from German means you're an inventory . . . or from 'auto-detected' Danish, board furniture.

Nope, I'm just inventory.

Reply #4
I think Uberstandard must have read that link, because they seem to have adopted many of the recommendations...EAC is 99pb5, but no mention of AccurateRip (which seems a little odd). Also their flat statement on the drive recommended

"The following drive is the best drive for ripping audio; hands down."  Plextor Premium.

I do not think so, the drive is Ok, so nothing wrong with ripping with it, but I would not say it is the best hands down.