Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Switching from LAME to AAC? (Read 5495 times) previous topic - next topic

Switching from LAME to AAC?

Hey, sorry if this post betrays my newness to this arena, and feel free to redirect me to threads already posted that answer my question...

I have a pretty simple question. I've been using LAME (APS) for ages now, though every once in a while I'll try out encoding something in AAC (with iTunes) when I'm crunched for time (so fast!, though the new -fast LAME option is blistering!). Anyways, I was wondering what is the recommended setup to replace a LAME-APS-like encoding process? Should I use the built-in iTunes encoder? VBR? What bitrate?

I'm basically looking for the best size/quality tradeoff (my diskspace is not infinite, sadly) that still provides near-transparent quality (like LAME-APS).

Thanks!

Reply #1
Well, it's hard to say really, but most people find most samples transparent at 128 kbps (see last public listening test). Personally, after I participated in that listening test and discovered that I couldn't identify any of the contenders except the low anchor, I went from using LAME APS, to V4, then to V5, then to iTunes AAC 128 VBR. I haven't noticed an artifact yet.

And at times I think I could still get away with using 80 or 96!

Reply #2
I agree with singaiya, most people will probably find 128kbps VBR iTunes AAC to be transparent.  That being said, Lame at -V 4/5 also sounds pretty good as well.  I think that the consensus is that AAC's (whether it is iTunes AAC or Nero AAC) sweet spot is about 160kbps VBR.  That is where you will find a great trade off in file size but you won't sacrifice much quality, if any.

Definitely use the VBR option though, always enable this when using the iTunes AAC encoder as it will produce better quality files that have about the same file size as their CBR counterparts.  The built-in iTunes AAC encoder is pretty good.  I believe that it is tied with Nero in terms of quality although the Nero AAC encoder might have a slight edge over the iTunes AAC encoder when it comes to VBR encoding.

If you want simplicity, then stick to iTunes.  You can also download a iTunesEncode executable if you want to securely rip your CDs in EAC while still using the iTunes AAC encoder.  Or you can use EAC or dbpoweramp R12 with the latest Nero AAC encoder at the q0.5 (or q0.45) setting if you want to go that route.  Either option will give you quality.  The only thing that bugs me about iTunes is that its secure CD ripping features don't match up to those of EAC and dbpoweramp.  Even though most of my CDs are still in their jewel cases, I would like to know if there were any problems while ripping.

Reply #3
It dependes more upon your equipment than anything. On an iPod with Apple ear buds, 128 AAC VBR is VERY CLOSE to transparent. Listening to the same files on a nice home stereo system or with some top end headphones - no way.

There is no listening test to validate but the consensus around here is that 192 AAC VBR is transparent. You might be able to slide down to 160 if space is a concern or move up to 256 if you want to be absolutely certain.

Although I use Apple's VBR , I find it sounds the same as their CBR versions. It's more like a ABR than a VBR.

Reply #4
iTunes AAC with 128 kbps VBR setting will generally offer a very good compromise between file size and overall quality. Going higher in bitrates will result in bigger files for smaller improvements in audio quality. Don't forget that the aim of audio compression is a compromise between compressing and sound quality. Do some experiments yourself with iTunes AAC settings in order to have YOUR perfect setting that corresponds to your taste...
MacBook (Mac OS 10.4.9), iTunes with iPod Nano 4GB.

Reply #5
Don't forget that the aim of audio compression is a compromise between compressing and sound quality.

Eh, for me the aim of audio compression is no compromise between compressing and sound quality.  Otherwise known as transparency.

Reply #6

Don't forget that the aim of audio compression is a compromise between compressing and sound quality.

Eh, for me the aim of audio compression is no compromise between compressing and sound quality.  Otherwise known as transparency.

Well I'm encoding now at 192 kbps without VBR feature enabled, and I love the sound it offers. Maybe some people will be thinking i'm violating HA rules, but I'm a drummer and when I'm listening to a music I prefer to listen "punchy" drums (the beat), with good trebles for cymbals. Well I used to encode at 128 kbps with AAC, and now I discovered that I can easily ABX a song between original and a 128 kbps AAC file. I tryed 192 kbps, and wow the dynamic is impressive, especially with my AKG K27i headphones ! 

I have difficult to ABX original and 192 kbps AAC files. Filesize is also very interesting, so it is a good compromise between filesize and perceived transparency... 

I think switching to AAC is a good way to prepare the future of audio compression. I just have two regrets :
- iTunes AAC is buggy because of stereo imaging encoding on some songs (see http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=51111, or try to encode the first minute of Steve Vai's "Burnin' Down The Mountain" from the "Flex-Able Leftovers" album, you'll ABX it very easily !)
- Few years ago I hoped to see OGG Vorbis breaking the market of hardware manufacturers, that prefers to pay licenses for implementing MP3, AAC or WMA decoders. OGG Vorbis is a very good format, FREE !

But even if MP3 is a standard, I prefer AAC. So select the bitrate that fits your taste and let's go !
MacBook (Mac OS 10.4.9), iTunes with iPod Nano 4GB.