Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tracklist tag CD problem (Read 6409 times) previous topic - next topic

Tracklist tag CD problem

Hello mates,

I've searched for days about the resolution for my problem and still can´t find a way to solve it. Maybe it´s too preety dumb simple...
Anyway, the problem is related to burned mp3 Nero CD. When i add some files to the list appear the files names instead of the modified tracks names!  Why does that heappen? I believe that´s not related to Nero program, nevertheless some files appears perfectly as said the costume designer.

Btw, another question: Is there a way to put foobar in the taskbar as Windows Media Player? Sometimes i would like to jump or back for tracks using the keyboard special shortcuts, but just that can´t work with minimizing the program.

Regards.

Tracklist tag CD problem

Reply #1
Are you burning an "audio CD" to play on a regular CD player, or are you burning MP3s as-is directly on the CD?

Of course, Nero needs the filenames to get the audio data.    Most audio CDs just contain raw audio data...  There is no artist or title information (and no filenames). 

Programs like Windows Media Player that display the artist/title information & artwork get that information from a separate online online database...  They don't read it off the CD.  If you put a "new" CD into your computer and your computer is offline, Windows Media Player will display "unknown". 

You can optionally burn CD Text onto a CD, but this information is in addition to the filename(s).

(I don't use foobar.)

Tracklist tag CD problem

Reply #2
Thanks for writing.

I'm burning mp3 jukebox directly on the CD. When i use WMP everything looks fine, so this problem is directly related with foobar2000 program. I wonder if exist a form to change something inside the program allowing it to read corretly the track name instead of file name... It´s preety annoying, for example, after edit 50 track big names verify that the player consider only the file name....
Another annoying thing is that with foobar you can´t change the track name if you are reading from a CD....

Tracklist tag CD problem

Reply #3
It´s preety annoying, for example, after edit 50 track big names verify that the player consider only the file name....

Are you editing your track names in foobar, or you use another program for tag editing?

Another annoying thing is that with foobar you can´t change the track name if you are reading from a CD....

If you are reading mp3 files from a CD, those files are read-only, of course, so the program cannot save your changes back to the file.

But maybe I'm missing your point...
If age or weaknes doe prohibyte bloudletting you must use boxing

Tracklist tag CD problem

Reply #4
Eevan,thanks for writing.

Are you editing your track names in foobar, or you use another program for tag editing?

Most of times i prefer edit in foobar. Is there a problem about that?

If you are reading mp3 files from a CD, those files are read-only, of course, so the program cannot save your changes back to the file.

But if i open the WMP i can easily edit mp3 track names. Of course i´m not editing the mp3 itself of CD, which is impossible,but why can´t i just edit mp3 track names using foobar? To do that i have to copy to HD first...

Tracklist tag CD problem

Reply #5
Most of times i prefer edit in foobar. Is there a problem about that?
foobar2000 by default writes ID3v2.4 tags, which are not widely supported, particularly not by Windows, WMP, et al. See the last item under foobar2000 FAQ: Tagging.

But if i open the WMP i can easily edit mp3 track names. Of course i´m not editing the mp3 itself of CD, which is impossible,but why can´t i just edit mp3 track names using foobar? To do that i have to copy to HD first...
foobar2000 stores almost all metadata within the audio file itself, not within some separate file. So if you can't edit a file, you can't edit its metadata.

As to your taskbar question, I'm not certain if this is the kind of thing you want, but you could try foo_w7shell (Windows 7) or the simpler foo_advancedcontrols (any Windows). These are what I found on a quick search; there are probably more.

Tracklist tag CD problem

Reply #6
As to your taskbar question, I'm not certain if this is the kind of thing you want, but you could try foo_w7shell (Windows 7) or the simpler foo_advancedcontrols (any Windows). These are what I found on a quick search; there are probably more.

Thanks for answering.

That´s what i was looking for,amigo! Thanks!!

So, what about the track name/file name selection? Does exist a solution about that?

Tracklist tag CD problem

Reply #7
Well, it's good that the bit about the taskbar helped, but did you read the rest? In other words, did you try enabling foobar2000's ID3v2 compatibility mode, as suggested by the FAQ?

Tracklist tag CD problem

Reply #8
I was not able to answer yesterday, so dv1989 explained everything and gave you the same answers as I would
Setting the ID3v2 compatibility mode will most likely enable WMP to read the metadata from tags written by foobar2000, but it is certainly not a recommended practice. You should stick to the latest version of ID3 standard.

So, what about the track name/file name selection? Does exist a solution about that?

Just one clarification. Where are you adding the files from a CD to? WMP, or foobar? In case it is a WMP, then do as dv1989 suggested, enable compatibility mode, rewrite the tags, burn the files on another CD and give it a try. I thin it would work, and you should see track names instead of file names.
On the other hand, foobar should show you the track names (from a tag) regardless of the ID3 version (v1, v2.3, v2.4).
If age or weaknes doe prohibyte bloudletting you must use boxing

Tracklist tag CD problem

Reply #9
it is certainly not a recommended practice. You should stick to the latest version of ID3 standard.

I disagree with this sentiment completely.  I would not use v2.4 unless it is properly supported by all hardware and software I'm using.  I would not bother with v2.4 unless it could specifically do something that I need which v2.3 can't.

Perhaps people have a reason to use v2.4, but considering how often it causes problems for people searching for help, I think telling people they should use it and only citing that it is the latest without otherwise explaining why will do more harm than good.

Tracklist tag CD problem

Reply #10
Well, it's good that the bit about the taskbar helped, but did you read the rest? In other words, did you try enabling foobar2000's ID3v2 compatibility mode, as suggested by the FAQ?

Yes, i've read everything. I have ID3v1 and ID3v2 marked,but i still can´t read a file properly tagged in foobar,only in WMP.

You should stick to the latest version of ID3 standard.

What's the difference between v1,v2 or whatever others v versions?

Just one clarification. Where are you adding the files from a CD to? WMP, or foobar? In case it is a WMP, then do as dv1989 suggested, enable compatibility mode, rewrite the tags, burn the files on another CD and give it a try. I thin it would work, and you should see track names instead of file names.
On the other hand, foobar should show you the track names (from a tag) regardless of the ID3 version (v1, v2.3, v2.4).

As i said,the problem exist only in foobar when i enqueue the file. I have never find any tagging problem using WMP, but what should i do? Foobar sound quality impression is much better than WMP .

Tracklist tag CD problem

Reply #11
I believe you were already told that WMP keeps metadata in an external database while foobar2000 only reads the metadata stored in the file itself.

If you want to use foobar2000 to read mp3s written to CD-R and you do not like the metadata then you'll have to burn a new session.

Tracklist tag CD problem

Reply #12
As i said,the problem exist only in foobar when i enqueue the file. I have never find any tagging problem using WMP, but what should i do? Foobar sound quality impression is much better than WMP .

My mistake; I read your earlier posts as meaning that files edited with foobar2000 were not displaying tags in Nero, hence my suggestion of compatibility mode.

And I trust your comment about relative sound quality is in jest…

Tracklist tag CD problem

Reply #13
Foobar sound quality impression is much better than WMP.

Please go over our Terms of Service, to which you agreed upon registering.  This violates #8.

Tracklist tag CD problem

Reply #14
Please go over our Terms of Service, to which you agreed upon registering.  This violates #8.

I'm real sorry about my statement. Won´t do that again.

I believe you were already told that WMP keeps metadata in an external database while foobar2000 only reads the metadata stored in the file itself.

If you want to use foobar2000 to read mp3s written to CD-R and you do not like the metadata then you'll have to burn a new session.

Does that means that it´s better to edit files in windows explorer than in foobar as i usually do?

My mistake; I read your earlier posts as meaning that files edited with foobar2000 were not displaying tags in Nero, hence my suggestion of compatibility mode.

And I trust your comment about relative sound quality is in jest…

Sometimes it doesn´t display the tags in Nero, but only the filename. I usually don´t care about that.Could that explain the problem?

Tracklist tag CD problem

Reply #15
eevan, greynol,dv1989?

Someone could help here?

Thanks in advance.