Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: On Poweramps... (Read 2639 times) previous topic - next topic

On Poweramps...

I have the opportunity to acquire an old IED 6000 power amplification system.  However, it's missing stuff (maybe) and I have no experience controlling and hooking up a power amp driven system.  Any words of wisdom or anyone knowledgeable about what is needed to control an older power amp like this?

all help appreciated.

On Poweramps...

Reply #2
I'm not particularly sure at the moment, as I haven't quite figured out what kind of interface (if any) I'll need to control it.  I'm getting it for significantly cheaper then a new amp would cost, so I am contemplating replacing my current (loaned) amp with it.  This would also be nice because I occasionally use my speaker system to produce lots of noise and MC medium size parties.

I'm mostly concerned with finding out if I need a preamp setup or something like that, or if I'd be able to attach and drive it directly from my computer (assume I can get individual channel output from my sound card or some ugly hash thereof.)

That is the system I'm referring to.  That particular file is pretty much the extent of the information I've been able to find online in reference to this particular system.  The manual I'm getting with the system seems to be somewhat more detailed, but mostly in reference to the individual modules available for the unit...

On Poweramps...

Reply #3
Can't say for sure but it would appear from the enlarged image below that each amplification card that is inserted in the chassis has its own set of inputs.  I can't tell what kind of connectors those are - screws? - but to the extent you can split the output of your sound card into discrete channels each having a separate signal and ground lead then you may be able to drive it directly from your PC.  Otherwise, you'll need to send the digital signal from the PC to a DAC/multi-channel pre-amp to do the channel splitting.  Have you written to the company for information?

Using it for a PA seems fine, but I wouldn't want it in my living room given those big fans in the back.  Once they kick in you're sure to hear them over the music at low levels.

On Poweramps...

Reply #4
For me, the fan noise isn't really an issue.  It will be sitting next to a full size server, which already has four or five fans moving air about noisily.  Thank you very much for the help, it's exactly what I wanted to know.

the connector in the back is a small green connector with adjustable plates that use screws to keep the wires in.  These are on a separate piece that then attaches to the card itself.
But, basically, yes.  They're screws.

On Poweramps...

Reply #5
I'm mostly concerned with finding out if I need a preamp setup or something like that, or if I'd be able to attach and drive it directly from my computer (assume I can get individual channel output from my sound card or some ugly hash thereof.)
A power amp just takes a line-level signal and boosts it to "speaker level".  You can connect it directly to your soundcard, or you could connect it to the output of a preamp, mixer, etc.

A preamp is optinal.  A preamp (the home stereo kind) is mostly used as a "control center" where you can select from a variety of inputs, control the volume, bass, treble, etc.    Line level signals from computers, CD players, DVD Players, mixers, etc.,  don't need actual amplification.    Most preamps actually spend their life attenuating rather than amplifying!    (Phono cartridges & microphones do need preamplification.)

One thing to watch-out for with power amps is to make sure that you don't accidently generate full-power noises/sounds that can damage speakers.  For example, you can get a full-power "buzz" if the input-ground comes loose, or you can get nasty "pops" if you turn-on the input device with the power amp on.    The proper procedure is to power-on your source (i.e. your computer) first, then power-up the power amp.  Power-down in the opposite sequence...  Turn the power-amp off first.  And, when you're setting-up & experimenting, start with the power amp's volume control turned down.

The screw terminals are a bit unusual.  (No big deal...  The amp was probably made for permanent "Architectural" installation.)  You can make "pigtail" adapters, or cut an audio cable in half to make an adapter.

However, it's missing stuff (maybe)
What do you think it's missing?  You may have some empty slots, but as long as you have two 8-ohm modules, it loooks like you'll be OK.  The higher impedance modules will not work as they are designed for "constant voltage" distributed-speaker systems (like the ceiling speakers in a supermarket)..

One suggestion - Since yo're not familiar with this amp, and since you'll have to rig-up the screw-terminal inputs, get a cheap "throw-away" speaker (or a pair) for testing/experimenting.  Once you're confident that everything's working you can hook-up your good speakers.    You don't need a speaker system...  Any 8-ohm speaker/driver will do.  (example[/color]).  But, don't use a "powered" computer speaker.