Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Some New Evidence that Generation Y May Prefer Accurate Sound (Read 78617 times) previous topic - next topic

Some New Evidence that Generation Y May Prefer Accurate Sound

Reply #100
The above are either straw man or excluded-middle arguments depending on how you take them.
OP: "mono test results track stereo results"
Me: "not always, here's two trivial counter examples"
You: "straw man"

HA search says you've claimed "straw man" 11 times now. You should build a haystack.

Quote from: 2Bdecided link=msg=0 date=
In my own limited experience however, it is the speaker/room interaction that causes me the most problems. To my ears, different rooms (+ speaker placements in those rooms) sound more different than different speakers...

I completely agree with that. However, I don't see this fact as working against mono comparisons. Instead I count the variables this creates and find that listening in mono simplifies the comparison. Try it, you may like it!  I do.

Well, kind of, but it doesn't tell you how much the speaker's sound will fall apart as its pushed towards the corners of my living room.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #101

yet you introduce a completely artificial environment and method for perceiving one channel of what is clearly a stereo speaker system, even though your own research (and basic common sense) indicates that our perception of the multi source (stereo) soundfield is not the same as a single source (mono) - which is an utterly abstract way of perceiving the ML's performance. No end user is going to listen to the ML that way, any more than the codec user.

Look, if you don't accept the rationale and published scientific evidence for doing mono loudspeaker evaluations that is your prerogative. I've already proven this to myself and a group of scientists who peer-reviewed my work, as has Floyd Toole in his landmark papers on loudspeaker evaluation back in the 1980s.  Besides Infinity, JBL, and Revel, many others companies like Axiom, Paradigm, PSB, B&O,etc also do mono loudspeaker comparisons because they understand  and accept the science, and have probably confirmed the science works in practice.

The published science tells us that mono comparisons are more revealing of problems with the loudspeakers, and therefore produce a more sensitive test, which is one of the cornerstones of a good subjective measurement.  If a  loudspeaker wins the test in mono with the highest overall ratings, it also will win the test in stereo: The spectral and spatial ratings also track across mono and stereo tests. The ecological validity of using mono signals is also legitimate since many stereo and surround recordings contain strong monophonic signal components.

It's all summarized in Floyd Toole's book "Sound Reproduction", section 8.2.1 "Testing the Effects of Loudspeaker Directivity on Imaging and Space". He shows an example where two direct radiator loudspeakers (a 3-way and a 2-way) and a full-range dipole electrostatic loudspeaker (Quad) are evaluated in both mono and stereo using double-blind controlled listening tests. This is very relevant to our discussion since the Martin Logan I tested and the Quad Floyd tested are both electrostatic dipoles (although the ML is a hybrid with a monopole subwoofer, and the Quad is a full range dipole).

In this test, the Quad happened to have the better off-axis performance of the three speakers but was it was the most directional of the three loudspeakers, with much reduced dispersion (look at the anechoic measurements). If you look at Figure 8.12,  you are shown the mean sound quality (timbre + distortion) and spatial quality scores of each loudspeaker in both mono and stereo tests. It shows us that the Quad (speaker BB) had the lowest sound quality and spatial quality ratings for both mono and stereo tests. The results track across mono and stereo. What happens in stereo, however, is that the recording strongly comes into play (note: recordings are more of a nuisance variable in stereo evaluations in general because the stereophonic recording techniques strongly dictate the spatial imagery we hear).

Toole argues that the decorrelated stereo signals in the recordings produced spaciousness (lower IACC values at the ears) that compensated for the Quad's lack of perceived spaciousness in the mono tests (note: the wider dispersion direct radiator loudspeakers produced stronger lateral reflections that are known to increase the apparent source width and spaciousness of the spatial imagery).  As a result, the Quad loudspeaker gets higher scores in stereo - but still not as high as the other two loudspeakers. The rank order of the loudspeakers perfectly tracked across mono and stereo playback conditions -- even for the electrostatic dipole.

Toole shows that the stereo ratings for the Quad strongly depend on the stereo information in the recordings (not a good attribute for a loudspeaker unless you only purchase recording made with spaced stereo microphones).  For recordings that had less decorrelated signals (e.g. +90% of all pop, jazz recordings that typically use pan potted stereo signals, and  some classical recordings that use coincident stereo microphone techniques), the Quad quality ratings dropped in the stereo evaluations, and the less directional speaker's ratings increased.

The scientific proof is there. If you choose not to accept it - that is your choice. If you want to challenge it, then i suggest you do your own double-blind controlled listening experiments on dipole speakers in both mono and stereo, and report back the results. 

Cheers
Sean Olive
Audio Musings

Reply #102
Thanks for your patience Sean.

This bit...
Toole shows that the stereo ratings for the Quad strongly depend on the stereo information in the recordings (not a good attribute for a loudspeaker unless you only purchase recording made with spaced stereo microphones).  For recordings that had less decorrelated signals (e.g. +90% of all pop, jazz recordings that typically use pan potted stereo signals, and  some classical recordings that use coincident stereo microphone techniques), the Quad quality ratings dropped in the stereo evaluations, and the less directional speaker's ratings increased.
...is especially interesting.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #103
Odigg,
I was writing my response as you were writing this response. We clearly think along the same lines. I like you

Thanks for the compliment!  I'm sure *most* everybody likes you too as the work you do is very valuable to us.  A number of us are garage audio scientists and we don't have the resources (or even degrees in the right field) to perform the type of research you are conducting.  Your findings are very helpful of cutting through the BS and helping us understand what is really going on in the world of audio and listening.

analog scott
- I began to respond in a comprehensive manner to your post, but realized I've already said most of what I want to say.  I also would prefer to leave this thread on topic.  I will add that I think you are making certain assumptions about the buyers of electrostatic speakers (ML in particular), and the dealers of such speakers, that are not accurate.  I say this based on my experience at multiple dealers and having known people who own electrostatic speakers.  I don't know if ML has made the same assumptions you have.  Some speaker manufacturers do make these assumptions and they very plainly say so when they designate a speaker a "near field" monitor.

Dr. Olive (or somebody at Harmon) probably has better data on the buyers of such speakers.  If such data exists and Dr. Olive is able to share it, perhaps another thread can be started to discuss this.

I'm sure we have some demographic data on electrostatic speaker buyers.

I recently purchased a pair of ML speakers at Magnolia for purposes of testing and evaluation. I asked the salesman if I could purchase just one 1 speaker since I  like to listen in mono. The sales guy thought I was nuts -- just like many of the people in this forum (I can't remember if he forced me to buy 1 or 2 speakers). But then I also purchased several other speakers from different companies, and he instantly forgot how nuts I was.

He told me not to worry if the loudspeaker sounded "unusual" at first since it takes 72 hours or even  longer to break in (and this isn't even one of their electrostatic models). I told him about human adaptation to sound over time, and how in isolation we grow used to things sounding normal that aren't --  like MP3 @ 128kbps. That was exactly the explanation behind Berger's MP3 results, that listeners had grown accustomed to that type of sound.  I smiled and told him not to worry, that  I wouldn't be returning the ML speakers after 72 hours. I could sense the relief in his voice after I told him this.

Cheers
Sean Olive
Audio Musings

Reply #104
Look, if you don't accept the rationale and published scientific evidence for doing mono loudspeaker evaluations that is your prerogative. I've already proven this to myself and a group of scientists who peer-reviewed my work, as has Floyd Toole in his landmark papers on loudspeaker evaluation back in the 1980s.  Besides Infinity, JBL, and Revel, many others companies like Axiom, Paradigm, PSB, B&O,etc also do mono loudspeaker comparisons because they understand  and accept the science, and have probably confirmed the science works in practice.

Are you sure about that? Perhaps you can scratch Axiom off that list Audioholics Axiom Blind Testing

Many companies conduct their listening tests in mono, claiming if a speaker wins in mono it will almost always win in stereo.  While this may be a good approach for listening tests that host multiple listeners NOT sitting near the sweet spot, I don’t believe you get the whole picture on how a speaker system interacts as a pair listening in mono.  Ian Colquhoun and I are on the same page here, which is why all of Axiom’s testing is done in stereo.

You may want to check with the others as well (obviously not JBL, Infinity or Revel ).

The published science tells us that mono comparisons are more revealing of problems with the loudspeakers

Yes, specific problems, as I've repeatedly agreed to. Just like you listened to the codecs in stereo, not mono, to listen for specific reproduction problems, as would be faced by the (stereo+ listening) end user, not some abstraction.

...and therefore produce a more sensitive test, which is one of the cornerstones of a good subjective measurement.  If a  loudspeaker wins the test in mono with the highest overall ratings, it also will win the test in stereo: The spectral and spatial ratings also track across mono and stereo tests.

So where are the stereo ratings test results of the ML vs to 362 so we can confirm this asserted correlation? This may very well be the case, but I don't see the data.

The scientific proof is there.

Yes, that we are less sensitive to issues that we may be more sensitive to in mono, when we listen in stereo...or more channels. As you have confirmed.

If you choose not to accept it - that is your choice. If you want to challenge it, then i suggest you do your own double-blind controlled listening experiments on dipole speakers in both mono and stereo, and report back the results.

I'll do my best, hopefully with your help . (Not sure how "double" the blind part will be if I administer, even hidden from the test subjects).
Question #1. Where do you source your screen cloth to hide the speakers from view? What is the measured FR loss of this material? TIA

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #105

Are you sure about that? Perhaps you can scratch Axiom off that list Audioholics Axiom Blind Testing

OK. That is news to me, since Ian did mono tests at NRC when he used those facilities. I'm actually quite happy to discover that competitors are now testing their speakers in stereo rather than mono because it means that their test results are not as sensitive as ours.

Both Floyd Toole and I  recently had many conversations with Gene D. at Audioholics  about why he should do mono loudspeaker comparisons. Unfortunately, he chose to ignore our recommendations in his last loudspeaker comparison shoot-out for the same arguments that you make. So what was the outcome of his stereo loudspeaker test results?  I statistically analyzed the data and there were no statistically significance differences in listeners' preference ratings among any of the loudspeakers tested: it was just  noise. Of course, several other important listening test nuisance variables were not controlled (e.g. seat and loudspeaker position, and a grille cloth blind screen with 1-2dB broadband effects) but it would have been interesting to see if they had less noise in the data if the tests were conducted in mono to confirm what we've know from 25 years of running these tests.

[note: I don;t mean to dismiss Gene's well-intentioned efforts  at conducting proper controlled listening tests, which I support 100%. He should be applauded for attempting to do what many other review sites don't have the political courage, time/money or skill to do].

So where are the stereo ratings test results of the ML vs to 362 so we can confirm this asserted correlation? This may very well be the case, but I don't see the data.

I don't need to test every product in mono and stereo to confirm what has already been well established.  In a similar fashion, we don't routinely test other known listening test nuisance variables (e.g. blind vs sighted, level matched versus non level matched) just to satisfy the doubts of misguided audiophiles who believe they are immune to sighted and loudness-related biases in listening evaluations. With that said, you may see the  mono versus stereo results in due course. Right now, it is not my top priority.

Cheers
Sean Olive
Audio Musings

Reply #106
it would have been interesting to see if they had less noise in the data if the tests were conducted in mono to confirm what we know from 25 years of running these tests.

Perhaps. But Gene seems primarily focused on "end user" data. That would be stereo, real room.
Personally, I would expect minor differences, but then again, there is a generic "sameness" to the total soundfield generated by these dome over cone monopole boxes...to my ears...rather than these dramatic difference, epic odes often written by users and the Audiophile press.

I don't need to test every product in mono and stereo to confirm what has already been well established.  In a similar fashion, we don't routinely test other known listening test nuisance variable (e.g. blind vs sighted, level matched versus non level matched) just to satisfy the doubts of misguided audiophiles who might think they are immune to sighted and loudness-related biases in listening evaluations. With that said, you may see the  mono versus stereo results in due course. Right now, it is not my the top priority.

Fair enough and I thank you for your discussion of the subject. Obviously, you are well positioned to discuss it.
Any thoughts on the screen cloth? As I asked Gene on AH, do you measure the total sound power loss due to the screen material?
Suggestions as to where I might acquire suitable material? Is DSP correction a consideration?

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #107
I posted a new blog posting that summarizes some recent  experimental evidence  where I tested a group of teenagers' preferences in loudspeakers and  MP3 versus CD music formats. This is just the beginning of a more thorough study, so the results are very preliminary. Still I thought it would be interesting to get some feedback.

I could find no evidence that these high school students preferred the "sizzling sounds of MP3" over higher quality lossless formats, as reported by Jonathan Berger. I also found they preferred the most accurate, neutral loudspeakers when given the opportunity to hear and compare them with something less accurate and neutral.

These results are not too surprising to me, but the media seems to have been reporting a different story over the past year.

Cheers
Sean
Audio Musings

My article was cited in a blog at Gramophone Magazine.. Interesting to see how classical music lovers respond to this or not. Of course most classical music lovers are past their prime listening years ; 

Cheers
Sean Olive
Audio Musings

Reply #108
What audio "jewelry" are you refering to? The diamond stylus of my cartridge is an actual functional part, not jewelry. Can't think of anything else you might be refering to. Do I also need to cite the multiple logical fallacies contained in your so called "must" conclusion?

From your equipment list on AA:

Speaker Cables/Interconnects:  Audioquest Clear speaker cable, MIT Shotgun interconnects
Other (Power Conditioner, Racks etc.):  Equitech 1.5Q line conditioner and Bybee pro filter
Tweaks:  Aurios Pros under Subwoofer, Aurios 1.2 under 3/4 slab of acrylic under preamp, Aurios 1.0 under 2 one inch slabs of acrulic sandwiching seven home made discs of silicone elastomer with a shore hardness of 9, Tip Toes under power amp , VPI bricks over transformers on Martin Logans

I seriously doubt that any of this would test positive for audible differences in a DBT.

I don't want to hazard a guess in public as to how many $1,000s are involved.

To me this is the clear black-and-white part of the story of your collection of audio jewelry.

The following is a little more about shades of gray:

I actually see no components whatsover in your system that is anything like the minimum that would be reasonably required for the best possible sound.

IME much of it if not all of it would very likely found in a series of DBTs to be vastly infererior to far less expesnive equipment in terms of sound quality as judged by the criteria of sonic accuracy.

Of course, the single-minded devotion to an obsolete, inherently sonically flawed medium speaks for itself. You could be the most tin-eared person I've ever heard of. Even Fremer listens to an occasional digital recording, apparently on his primary system. You can't.

Reply #109
What audio "jewelry" are you refering to? The diamond stylus of my cartridge is an actual functional part, not jewelry. Can't think of anything else you might be refering to. Do I also need to cite the multiple logical fallacies contained in your so called "must" conclusion?

From your equipment list on AA:

Speaker Cables/Interconnects:  Audioquest Clear speaker cable, MIT Shotgun interconnects
Other (Power Conditioner, Racks etc.):  Equitech 1.5Q line conditioner and Bybee pro filter
Tweaks:  Aurios Pros under Subwoofer, Aurios 1.2 under 3/4 slab of acrylic under preamp, Aurios 1.0 under 2 one inch slabs of acrulic sandwiching seven home made discs of silicone elastomer with a shore hardness of 9, Tip Toes under power amp , VPI bricks over transformers on Martin Logans

I seriously doubt that any of this would test positive for audible differences in a DBT.

I don't want to hazard a guess in public as to how many $1,000s are involved.

To me this is the clear black-and-white part of the story of your collection of audio jewelry.

The following is a little more about shades of gray:

I actually see no components whatsover in your system that is anything like the minimum that would be reasonably required for the best possible sound.

IME much of it if not all of it would very likely found in a series of DBTs to be vastly infererior to far less expesnive equipment in terms of sound quality as judged by the criteria of sonic accuracy.

Of course, the single-minded devotion to an obsolete, inherently sonically flawed medium speaks for itself. You could be the most tin-eared person I've ever heard of. Even Fremer listens to an occasional digital recording, apparently on his primary system. You can't.

Way to stay on topic Arny. Maybe you have a few more tips on comedy for me as well? Arny you need to get over this personal vendetta. You are just embarrassing yourself. But hey, if you want to fantasize about how bad my system sounds in order to feel better about yours that's fine. I can't say that I enjoy my system any less as a result.

Reply #110
Way to stay on topic Arny. Maybe you have a few more tips on comedy for me as well? Arny you need to get over this personal vendetta. You are just embarrassing yourself. But hey, if you want to fantasize about how bad my system sounds in order to feel better about yours that's fine. I can't say that I enjoy my system any less as a result.

Name calling won't change the fact that he's caught you. 

This is the Hydrogen Audio site.  The folks here are nowhere near as gullible as you seem to think they are.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Reply #111
Way to stay on topic Arny.

You asked the question, and I answered it. The question was OT. How can the answer to it be anything but OT?

Maybe you have a few more tips on comedy for me as well?

You lecture me about OT posts and then you post about comedy?

Arny you need to get over this personal vendetta.

There's nothing personal about it. My comments were about a list of equipment that you posted. If you think that I'm the only person on HA that perceives that equipment list like I do, then you really need to look around and listen to the other people who post here. Most people who post here realize that HA is part of the cure for equipment lists like that.

You are just embarrassing yourself.

That equipment list would embarass a great many people if it was what their prime system was. Think I'm wrong? Look at the equipment lists that most HA members have posted.

But hey, if you want to fantasize about how bad my system sounds in order to feel better about yours that's fine.

Scott you don't understand me at all! If I tried to post an equipment list, I wouldn't know where to start. I have so many systems that I control 100%  ranging from a Microtrack and a pair of HD 280 headphones to an auditorium that seats up to 600 people and serves up to 45 performers concurrently.

I can't say that I enjoy my system any less as a result.

That's the most important thing Scott, that you enjoy it. I mean that quite seriously. Have a good day!

Reply #112
The Bybee filter was something I tried on a whim since i was able to get one for very little money compared to it's retail price. Can't say that it made any difference whatsoever. I sold it for a little more than my purchase price. The VPI bricks (two of them) were given to me. I'm not sure if they make that much of a difference or not but they sit on my Vandersteen subwooofer. Without them my two Emmy's that also sit on the subwoofer tend to ring when the bass gets loud. With the VPI bricks the on top of the sub the sub's top seems to be damped enough to stop the ringing. I don't like hearing the Emmys ring so that does make an audible improvement. I suppose the Emmys could be seen as audio jewelry since they sit on the sub, and are gold plated and very shiny??? I never thought of them as an actual part of the system though.

Interesting. You may have indeed affected the soundfield with the bricks in that fashion. Clearly with the Bybee, your system either lacked the resolution/resolvingness and/or you lacked the "hearing" ability (or self training) to perceive them. Which raises alarming Audiophile street cred issues, both system and personal in nature.
But I agree with you, we digress. I'll try to get back on topic.

My article was cited in a blog at Gramophone Magazine.. Interesting to see how classical music lovers respond to this or not. Of course most classical music lovers are past their prime listening years ;

Hmmm. Maybe. As most likely are (fans of) Big Band Jazz and other acoustic, non-amplified ensembles. But what better alternative is there for testing loudspeaker performance fidelity?
Any thoughts on the screen material for blinding?

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #113
Quote from: 2Bdecided link=msg=0 date=
In my own limited experience however, it is the speaker/room interaction that causes me the most problems. To my ears, different rooms (+ speaker placements in those rooms) sound more different than different speakers...

I completely agree with that. However, I don't see this fact as working against mono comparisons. Instead I count the variables this creates and find that listening in mono simplifies the comparison. Try it, you may like it!  I do.

Well, kind of, but it doesn't tell you how much the speaker's sound will fall apart as its pushed towards the corners of my living room.

Pushing a single speaker towards the corner of  your room, any room will tell you volumes about how the sound of that speaker is affected.

Doing it with two speakers just adds more variables. Are the corners the same? Are the speakers positioned identically with respect to the corner?

The answer to the question "how does a corner affect the sound of this speaker" is first and foremost an abstraction.

The answer to the question "how do these corners in my living room affect these speakers"  can be thought of being composed of the answers to a goodly number of  questions, only one of which is "how does a corner affect the sound of this speaker".

If you're going to chose speakers based on how they sound when pushed into corners, then the most important question is how the various speakers sound when just one of them is pushed into just one corner.  Most of the other questions have the same answers no matter which speakers you test.

Note that many of the sound quality changes to speakers when they are pushed into a corner are actually the same no matter which speaker you use. That's because they happen at low frequencies where virtually all home speakers are omnidirectional. All 5 1/2 inch direct radiators in typical boxes have basically the same radiation patterns at 50-100 Hz and probably running higher. Their bandpasses will vary, but this is all pretty simple and predictable.

Reply #114

[note: I don;t mean to dismiss Gene's well-intentioned efforts  at conducting proper controlled listening tests, which I support 100%. He should be applauded for attempting to do what many other review sites don't have the political courage, time/money or skill to do].

Audioholics' credo is "Let our rigorous testing and reviews be your guidelines to A/V equipment – not marketing slogans ".  Unfortunately their commitment to rigorous testing falls somewhat short of complete.  (Pointing this out to them one time too many might get you 'shadowbanned', as I was for awhile)

I rank them somewhat above Stereophile in their science-mindedness, but like that magazine, Audioholics practices an aggravating combination of detailed objective measurement and poorly-controlled subjective evaluation.

Reply #115

Name calling won't change the fact that he's caught you. 

This is the Hydrogen Audio site.  The folks here are nowhere near as gullible as you seem to think they are.

Caught me what? How gullible did your tarot cards tell you I believe the folks here to be? Or what form of mind reading did you use to determine that? What was the title of this thread? "Let's try to catch Scott at something or another??"

Arny caught me using isolation for my turntable and protecting my system with a  power supply/purifier that would literally save my irreplaceble airbearings on my tutrntable, flywheel and pickup arm in the case of a power outage and that proves that my experience in regards to whether or not I was duly made aware of the sweet spot before buying  electrostatic speaker should be dismissed as unreliable experience? Really? Do I really need to explain just how dumb and desperate that is?

Arny really needs to get over this perosnal demon he has with me and move on. it really is just a source of embarrassment for him. You speak of my beliefs about the gullibility of the members of HA. I don't think the folks on HA are gullible enough to think that this isn't a personal issue for Arny or that Arny really has a point about the validity of my experiences with the sweet spot of electrostaic speakers as a long time owner of electrostatic speakers. Are you that gullible as to believe this isn't something personal? Do you really think this stuff belongs in this thread? Didn't the modrators already remove some of Arny's other comically inept off topic attempts at ad hominem against me from this thread, really wierd stuff like lecturing me on the structure of comedy and blasting me for "libeling" the unnamed writers of manuals of formula one racing cars?  Hey, for me it's just something to poke fun at but there does come a point where it just gets in the way of the thread. If Arny wants to keep lobbing them up there I keep knocking them out of the park. But the moderators will have to keep cleaning up the mess. I am sure that is getting old for them. Arny really needs to let it go.

Reply #116
Note that many of the sound quality changes to speakers when they are pushed into a corner are actually the same no matter which speaker you use.

Absolutely false, given the context that the (speaker) discussion with Sean is a dipole (ML) vs a monopole (362). About the only thing similar will be their LF corner loading.

That's because they happen at low frequencies where virtually all home speakers are omnidirectional. All 5 1/2 inch direct radiators in typical boxes have basically the same radiation patterns at 50-100 Hz and probably running higher. Their bandpasses will vary, but this is all pretty simple and predictable.

That unfortunate fact is true, they are both monopoles (omnipolar) in that range..and the near corner placement will have significant impact, including gain at LF. So the "sounds thin" by looking at an anechoic snapshot ML, may sound anything but in the real room listener area, while the flat as a pancake anechoic 362 may sound bass heavy. Or not. Then we add a second channel, the soundfield becomes more complex...and real life stereo+.

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #117
Arny caught me using isolation for my turntable and protecting my system with a  power supply/purifier that would literally save my irreplaceble airbearings on my tutrntable, flywheel and pickup arm in the case of a power outage and that proves that my experience in regards to whether or not I was duly made aware of the sweet spot before buying  electrostatic speaker should be dismissed as unreliable experience? Really? Do I really need to explain just how dumb and desperate that is?

You're minimizing what I caught you at, Scott. What you don't realize is that you just dug yourself deeper because you reiterated more stuff that makes no reliably detectable audible difference, like the flywheel.

Arny really needs to get over this perosnal demon he has with me and move on.

Asked and answered, but just to repeat it - its not personal, Scott. *Anybody* who proudly posts such an incredible list of cosmetic and dysfunctional audio gear would get about the same response, were they also pontificating like you do.

What's embarassing is someone who plays the class card as often as you do while pretending to be interested in just discussing audio.  That may play at The Hollywood Spa or the Midtowne, but its getting pretty old here.

Reply #118
Note that many of the sound quality changes to speakers when they are pushed into a corner are actually the same no matter which speaker you use.

Absolutely false, given the context that the (speaker) discussion with Sean is a dipole (ML) vs a monopole (362). About the only thing similar will be their LF corner loading.

Note that I wasn't discussing with Sean, but rather I was discussing with 2Bdecided, and the context was whether doing this experiment with 2 speakers in 2 corners was the better idea than doing it with 1 speaker in 1 corner.

Dipoles are such a tiny, tiny  fraction of the market that I tend to totally forget that they exist. We could all agree to forget them and not much would change in the world of audio. They just make things more complex, and for what?

I suspect that if you push a true dipole into a corner the results are a lot like those from a monopole with similar directivity until the front lobe starts engaging the walls. The strong effect of dipoles at low frequencies is that the lobes become so large that they overlap and cancel, and that has its strongest effect on the overall bass bandpass.

Since I used the word "many" I was allowing that there were exceptions. This makes your judgement of "Absolutely False" absolutely false. ;-)

Reply #119
Note that I wasn't discussing with Sean, but rather I was discussing with 2Bdecided, and the context was whether doing this experiment with 2 speakers in 2 corners was the better idea than doing it with 1 speaker in 1 corner.

Well apparently you need to read the article that the thread is about. The one speaker in the experiment isn't anywhere near a corner. It's in the middle of the front wall. I wasn't suggesting that they listen to one, in one corner either.

Dipoles are such a tiny, tiny  fraction of the market that I tend to totally forget that they exist. We could all agree to forget them and not much would change in the world of audio. They just make things more complex, and for what?

For your requirements of fidelity, this is true. But irrelevant, since Sean chose to use one (and single it out) in his experiment. So you could argue with him as to why they are in his testing, given your requirements.

I suspect that if you push a true dipole into a corner the results are a lot like those from a monopole with similar directivity until the front lobe starts engaging the walls. The strong effect of dipoles at low frequencies is that the lobes become so large that they overlap and cancel, and that has its strongest effect on the overall bass bandpass.

I suspect you need to pick up some basic acoustics texts or go the Linkwitz's site. It's vast..and free. 
A true dipole will have completely different directivity than a monopole. At any frequency it will be true dipole up to around 1/3 wavelength of the source size, then exhibit "dipolar" behavior, where the nulls are not fully formed, then eventually more directive as wavelength decreases. But their will still be radiated sound in both directions.
Bottom line...the interaction of the ML and 362, placed the same distance near corners, as they would be in real life, will be completely different. More so in stereo.
Gotta run.

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #120

Well apparently you need to read the article that the thread is about.

Childish rhetoric like that gets you noplace with me.

Reply #121

That unfortunate fact is true, they are both monopoles (omnipolar) in that range..and the near corner placement will have significant impact, including gain at LF. So the "sounds thin" by looking at an anechoic snapshot ML, may sound anything but in the real room listener area, while the flat as a pancake anechoic 362 may sound bass heavy. Or not. Then we add a second channel, the soundfield becomes more complex...and real life stereo+.

But the problem AJ, is that ML doesn't recommend you put their speaker in the corner. They talk about putting it 3-4 feet from the front wall and ideally they say there should be no side walls near the speaker. It's right on the owners manual on page 10. 

Side walls
"A good rule of thumb is to have the side walls as far away from the speaker sides as possible ". .. "An ideal side wall, however, is no side wall at all."

Do you work at ML or have inside information that indicates the owners' manual is wrong? If so, you should contact them and let them know.

Cheers
Sean Olive
Audio Musings

Reply #122
I bet the silent majority of readers with no particular axe to grind are thinking that testing stereo speakers in mono is a strange thing to do.

I've read the justifications. I don't buy them. I can see how on-axis mono listening can give more repeatable results where differences are more easily audible - but maybe that's another way of saying that normal stereo listening depends far more on the interaction between the speakers and the room.

Like it or not, most of us are stuck with interaction between our speakers and our listening rooms. Obviously it would complicate things, but I think many people are interested in which speakers sound best in the locations where the speakers look+fit best in their living room. Other people are interested in which speakers sound best given the opportunity to place the speakers at the optimum location for that pair of speakers. Other people are interested in creating the best listening room, placing the speakers optimally, and getting the best sound.

These are harder questions to answer, and I don't want to make the best the enemy of the good, but the concerns are real.

I'm sure Sean can envisage a Mark II speaker switcher room with a speaker switcher in each corner to deliver stereo tests. How much space have you got Sean?

Cheers,
David.

Our MLL speaker mover already accommodates stereo comparisons of up to 4 sets of loudspeakers, and we have conducted both stereo and mono tests for some 12 years now.

No one I know of -- including Martin Logan (read their owner's manual) recommends putting loudspeakers in the corner unless they are subwoofers or the speakers were designed to be put there (e,g Klipschhorns). So, it would be a waste of money to build a speaker mover specifically to test corner-deigned speakers since not many exist.

We are in the process of building some side walls that will come in closer to the speaker mover and create stronger, earlier lateral reflections that will contribute more weight to the listeners' overall impression of the loudspeaker.

This should even make our listening tests even more sensitive to loudspeakers with problems in their off-axis response.  The ratings should increase forwell designed speakers that have well-maintined smooth off-axis responses should increase, and the ratings of loudspeakers with poor off-axis responses should decrease.

Given what we know about the on and off-axis performance of the Primus 362 and the ML, how do you think these two speakers will fare in this newly designed room?

See slide 28 and compare Primus versus Loudspeaker C measurements.

Cheers
Sean Olive
Audio Musings

Reply #123
Arny really needs to get over this perosnal demon he has with me and move on. it really is just a source of embarrassment for him.

I think we all (other than you of course) know  who should be embarrassed here, and that's not Arnie.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Reply #124
Given what we know about the on and off-axis performance of the Primus 362 and the ML, how do you think these two speakers will fare in this newly designed room?

See slide 28 and compare Primus versus Loudspeaker C measurements.

I enjoyed the presentation, but I thought the generalization to an entire generation a bit strong, and too strongly worded.  I think it is valid and interesting evidence, but without confirmation the apparent suggestion that the evidence is conclusive seems too strong based on one study and the fairly small sample size.  Also of course, given that the students came from a single school it might be a biased sample and wasn't really randomized as far as I can see.

But still very interesting and thanks for presenting it to us.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH