Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: First time MPC (Read 3020 times) previous topic - next topic

First time MPC

I tried MPC with the album YES of MORPHINE. I could provide some test samples if anyone wants.
The problem is that I keep listening to many soft "artifacts". They seem to become more audible when the stereo effect is also easier noticeable.

Then I searched the forums and found this below. The artifacts are much more audible from the sax, as the member below says:
Thanks for your answers. I thought to use different presets because I found a few problems encoding jazz albums and never found any problem with encoding pop music. I specially have a live recording (done with a MD ) which is hard to encode. This is a live performance with just 2 sax players. It sounds good just with mpc insane. It is the reason why I stop using mp3.

The commandline I am using is the one suggested in the Sticky: --quality 6 --xlevel --ape2 --artist "%a" --title "%t" --album "%g" --year "%y" --track "%n" --genre "%m" %s; mppenc 1.14.
Should I increase quality to get rid of the artifacts?

First time MPC

Reply #1
Step 1: Use an ABX tool to ensure you're actually hearing artifacts. I use WinABX.

Step 2: If artifacts are really there (p-value of 0.05, or confidence level of 95%), find a spot where the effect is obvious, post it here.

Step 3: Try mppenc v1.15r, and increase the quality level to see if the artifacting goes away as the quality increases. If so, then there's a tuning problem, and your samples will help those in charge do what they do to make MPC better.

First time MPC

Reply #2
I could provide some test samples if anyone wants.

Could you? It would help a lot.