Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Replay gain crops ID3 tags (Read 3066 times) previous topic - next topic

Replay gain crops ID3 tags

Hello everybody.

I've installed foorbar2000 recently and now I'm using it to calculate replay gain and store it in all my mp3s.
The problem is that by doing that foorbar2000 crops any "too long" ID3 tags (e.x. Title, Artist or Album; whichever is "too long").

Example:
Before replay gain updates tags, the ID3 info looks like this:
Code: [Select]
Track: 1
Title: Serpent's kiss
Artist: The Mission
Album: The - Anothology (The phonogram years)
Year: 2006
Genre: Gothic Rock

and after it updates tags, it looks like this:
Code: [Select]
 Track: 1
Title: Serpent's kiss
Artist: The Mission
Album: The - Anothology (The phonogram ye..
Year: 2006
Genre: Gothic Rock

It doesn't matter which tag is "too long". The one that's "too long" is being cropped.

Can anybody verify this and if it true, can it be fixed soon?

Reply #1
http://www.foobar2000.org/FAQ#tagging_files
MP3 tags (ID3v2) added or modified by foobar2000 are not read or are read improperly in application X or portable player Y. What can I do?

foobar2000 writes ID3v2.4 tags encoded as UTF-8 by default. To deal with broken software/hardware with partial support of the ID3v2 standard, an “ID3v2 writer compatibility mode” has been added ('Preferences → Advanced → Tagging → MP3 → ID3v2 writer compatibility mode'); it results in non-standard-compliant tags being written (ID3v2.3 instead of ID3v2.4, UTF-16, no unsynchronization, no padding), but attempts to dodge known bugs in other ID3v2 implementations.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #2
Tnx for the quick reply.
What is "no unsynchronization", what do you mean by "no padding" and what is the difference if ID3 tags are encoded as UTF-16 vs UTF-8?

Reply #3
It seems like your previous tag scheme is overwritten, and you see only ID3v1 now
What's scheme were you using before applying RG?
What's your settings in foobar preferences: advanced > tagging > mp3?
Where is your info from?

Reply #4
It seems like your previous tag scheme is overwritten, and you see only ID3v1 now
What's scheme were you using before applying RG?
What's your settings in foobar preferences: advanced > tagging > mp3?
Where is your info from?

I'm using "ID3v2: use padding" and the info is from withing foobar2000 (Metadata), and I've also checked with Winamp (it's the same), so it looks like it is really cropped (it's the same for ID3v1 and ID3v2).

Reply #5
ok, but what tagging scheme were you using before applying RG?
you can check with mp3tag for example

is "force tag scheme" enabled in your preferences?

also, does running "verify integrity" show some problems (before applying RG)?

Reply #6
Tnx for the quick reply.
What is "no unsynchronization", what do you mean by "no padding" and what is the difference if ID3 tags are encoded as UTF-16 vs UTF-8?

Well none of those things are really relevant to your situation.

What you need to know is that a newer (although 10-year-old) id3v2 version is being written to your tags when you add replayGain tags or do any other tagging operation in fb2k. The tags aren't being "cropped", it is just that whatever software you are viewing the tags in (e.g. Windows Explorer) does not read this newest id3v2 version, so it is falling back to the very old id3v1 tags on your files. You can enable foobar2000 to write a type of id3v2 tag that will have compatibility with this software by enabling "compatibility mode" in the advanced preferences.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #7
ok, but what tagging scheme were you using before applying RG?
you can check with mp3tag for example

is "force tag scheme" enabled in your preferences?

also, does running "verify integrity" show some problems (before applying RG)?

I'm using lame 3.98 with these command line parameters: "-m s -q 0 --cbr -p" so I think it's IDv2 but I'm not sure if it's ID3v2.3 or ID3v2.4.
"Force preferred tag writing scheme on all files regardless of existing tags" is NOT ticked.
I cannot find "Verify integrity" but I'm 99% sure that integrity isn't the problem.

Reply #8
Tnx for the quick reply.

Well none of those things are really relevant to your situation.

What you need to know is that a newer (although 10-year-old) id3v2 version is being written to your tags when you add replayGain tags or do any other tagging operation in fb2k. The tags aren't being "cropped", it is just that whatever software you are viewing the tags in (e.g. Windows Explorer) does not read this newest id3v2 version, so it is falling back to the very old id3v1 tags on your files. You can enable foobar2000 to write a type of id3v2 tag that will have compatibility with this software by enabling "compatibility mode" in the advanced preferences.

As you can see in the posts above and below, the problem is not that...

Reply #9
Verify integrity is in "context menu > utils": http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_verifier, and I guess there is some problem with your files as none whatsoever has reported such problems
Judging from your lame command line usage I guess you don't use foobar for encoding your mp3s?

Reply #10
I'm using lame 3.98 with these command line parameters: "-m s -q 0 --cbr -p" so I think it's IDv2 but I'm not sure if it's ID3v2.3 or ID3v2.4.

This doesn't include any tagging instructions, unless you deliberately omitted them. You haven't made clear whether you tag with LAME or an intermediate program. I presume LAME writes v2.3. May I ask why you use --cbr and no bitrate parameter, instead of simply -bx? Finally, simple stereo is suboptimal, and so renders -q0 somewhat pointless.

Reply #11

This doesn't include any tagging instructions, unless you deliberately omitted them. You haven't made clear whether you tag with LAME or an intermediate program. I presume LAME writes v2.3. May I ask why you use --cbr and no bitrate parameter, instead of simply -bx? Finally, simple stereo is suboptimal, and so renders -q0 somewhat pointless.

Sorry, this is copy/paste from EAC. Bitrate is 192kbit.

Reply #12
Verify integrity is in "context menu > utils": http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_verifier, and I guess there is some problem with your files as none whatsoever has reported such problems
Judging from your lame command line usage I guess you don't use foobar for encoding your mp3s?

I just added verifier to components directory but it's pointless of checking the files now because they've all been overwritten with foobar2000. If (or better, when) this happens again, I'll try to verify original mp3s.
I'm using EAC or CUETools for encoding. Very rarely I encode them from command prompt.

Reply #13
I cannot find "Verify integrity" but I'm 99% sure that integrity isn't the problem.

The integrity component would be able to tell us if your files have more than one id3v2 tag, which is a fairly common problem with some stupid tagging software.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #14
Are you using EAC's setting "LAME" or "User Defined Encoder"? Anyway, I still think --cbr may be redundant/incorrect, and my point about simple stereo also still stands. But I'm aware I'm getting too far off-topic; search for one of the many previous threads on the issue if you're interested.