Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: recording internet radio (Read 5653 times) previous topic - next topic

recording internet radio

Hi,

A long time ago I came asking for any advice about a free software program that would be able to record internet streaming radio.  I was advised by Woody (I think that was his name, to use net transport which I did and worked until I found an even more stable program: SDP multimedia.  Things were going great until the radio station switched to a new format
http://www.wjr.net/article.asp?id=1476377
and since then, I've no longer been able to record this radio station.  I was wondering if anyone else knew of a program (preferably time programmable) that would let me
record this station.  I'm not picky about the sound quality (this is the first time I've ever said this in my life!!).

any recommendations?

recording internet radio

Reply #1
Hi,

A long time ago I came asking for any advice about a free software program that would be able to record internet streaming radio.  I was advised by Woody (I think that was his name, to use net transport which I did and worked until I found an even more stable program: SDP multimedia.  Things were going great until the radio station switched to a new format
and since then, I've no longer been able to record this radio station.  I was wondering if anyone else knew of a program (preferably time programmable) that would let me
record this station.  I'm not picky about the sound quality (this is the first time I've ever said this in my life!!).

any recommendations?

I do all my audio work in Adobe Audition 3. I just tried your link and after turning on the "Stereo Mix" in the recording control it recorded just fine. I assume (probably a dumb thing to do) that any other audio software can do the same thing. At least I can confirm it's fine here.

recording internet radio

Reply #2
If all you want to do is get an audio stream and you can hear the audio in your speakers - Audacity will work just fine. In fact, I used it for the same purpose as you - just to get the stream to my pc with no regard for quality, well, reasonable sound.

Audacity and Recording Streams - More Info

recording internet radio

Reply #3
Hi,

any recommendations?

This is the URL for AAC stream:  http://38.100.141.1/WJRAMAAC?streamtheworl...f=1275670224359

I tried it with Net Transport.  Seems to work.  However, there was something about the format which rendered it unplayable with most of my player programs.  My advice would be be to grab a couple of minutes, rename the save file to an AAC extension, and try playing it with whatever player you use.

Woody

recording internet radio

Reply #4
thanks everyone!

The adobe audition seems nice, but definitely not free.

In audacity, I have no way record internally, unfortunately all I have is microphone and line-ins available. (I was hoping this was going to work)

you came through again Woody, and you're right.  I was able to record as well, but into a totally unrecognizable format.  Do you know how to change the
"save as" into an AAC extension?  I played with net transport for a while, went through all of it's features and couldn't find anything to change this setting.
maybe i'll look into trying to convert it some how...

recording internet radio

Reply #5
I think I've got a handle on this now.  It is an AAC stream wrapped up in a FLV.  So, the saved file should be renamed to have the file extension "FLV"  Any media player that can handle FLV's should be able to play it back.  Also, it is possible to extract the AAC from the FLV using FLV_Extract.  FLV_extract is freeware and available here:
http://www.downloadsky.net/get/MP3-Audio-V...ract_10871.html
Regrettably, it requires Microsoft NET Framework be installed also.

Woody

recording internet radio

Reply #6
I think I've got a handle on this now.  It is an AAC stream wrapped up in a FLV.  So, the saved file should be renamed to have the file extension "FLV"  Any media player that can handle FLV's should be able to play it back.  Also, it is possible to extract the AAC from the FLV using FLV_Extract.  FLV_extract is freeware and available here:
http://www.downloadsky.net/get/MP3-Audio-V...ract_10871.html
Regrettably, it requires Microsoft NET Framework be installed also.

Woody

once again you come through Woody! thanks!  Do you think net transport wraps it up in a FLV because of change in the way the station is now broadcast? (I think they're using adobe flash??) or it's something net transport is doing to all recorded streams?

recording internet radio

Reply #7
[/quote]
once again you come through Woody! thanks!  Do you think net transport wraps it up in a FLV because of change in the way the station is now broadcast? (I think they're using adobe flash??) or it's something net transport is doing to all recorded streams?
[/quote]

Net Transport does not alter the stream at all.  The Web site is streaming in Flash Video (FLV) format.  And that is what Net Transport captures.  In this case there's no video contained in the FLV, only audio.

Good luck

Woody

recording internet radio

Reply #9
Thanks Woody.  How is it that you are able to find these URL's to ACC and MP3 streams? I always wondered that...

recording internet radio

Reply #10
In audacity, I have no way record internally, unfortunately all I have is microphone and line-ins available. (I was hoping this was going to work)

In audacity I see "wave out" as one of the choices to record from.  You may have to play with some check boxes on the  Windows record properties panel to get that on the list.

recording internet radio

Reply #11
In audacity I see "wave out" as one of the choices to record from.  You may have to play with some check boxes on the  Windows record properties panel to get that on the list.

Yes, 'wave out' or 'stereo mix' or ???. It isn't an actual port rather the "record source'. You may need to noodle with your audio device control panel as has been suggested. For me, using a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz the 'record source' is 'stereo mix' in both the device control panel and audacity. This has usually worked on most systems regardless of onboard sound or add in card. Anyway, hope you capture the audio feed you want

recording internet radio

Reply #12
Thanks Woody.  How is it that you are able to find these URL's to ACC and MP3 streams? I always wondered that...

Packet inspection.  Sometimes just reviewing the HTML page source can be quite helpful.

Woody