Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New to Ripping and Encoding, Please Help a Fellow Out (Read 6121 times) previous topic - next topic

New to Ripping and Encoding, Please Help a Fellow Out

I'm just about to begin the process of backing up all my old cd's.  I've decided that I want to rip and encode them in the flac format and then convert copies of these into vbr mp3 files for my iphone.

I think I have eac set up correctly, using this guide.

http://filesharefreak.com/tutorials/proper...c-with-eac-099/

Can someone confirm that this guide is the best route to follow?  I don't wanna start ripping cd's and find out later that there is a better way to do so.

Also, what is the best method of converting these into vbr mp3's for my iphone and other portable devices?  Is it easier to change the settings in eac and rerip in mp3, or can the files be converted without repripping?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Reply #1
Also, what is the best method of converting these into vbr mp3's for my iphone and other portable devices? Is it easier to change the settings in eac and rerip in mp3, or can the files be converted without repripping? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Programs like dbPoweramp (also an excellent ripper) can convert to almost any format.
However, check your media player first.
A lot of them support transcoding, the moment you want to load a portable, the audio will be converted to a format supported by the portable.
Saves you the burden of maintaining 2 libraries

TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #2
Can someone confirm that this guide is the best route to follow?

Well, most users here don't think too highly of file sharing; and besides are more likely to recommend the guides available here, as pinned topics or on the Knowledgebase (wiki).

can the files be converted without repripping?

Yes. Please try to consult sources like those above, or even just sites like Google and Wikipedia, before asking such basic questions.

Reply #3

Well, most users here don't think too highly of file sharing; and besides are more likely to recommend the guides available here, as pinned topics or on the Knowledgebase (wiki).

can the files be converted without repripping?

Yes. Please try to consult sources like those above, or even just sites like Google and Wikipedia, before asking such basic questions.

It's not for file sharing at all, I assure you.  Just a guide I had found.  Sorry for any misconceptions.  I just want to know if the settings mentioned there are the best for ripping.

Reply #4
REACT? My short guide. If you use 64bit OS, copy "CHCP.com" file from your OS "system32" folder to "SysWOW64" folder before using REACT.

Also, here's the link to the HA Wiki EAC guides.

Reply #5

It seems like another cookie-cutter guide that the author blindly assembled from other places.  It's not likely going to give you any trouble, but I would like to point out something in particular that gives that impression that the author doesn't really understand the material he's presenting:
— Check Use CRC check.
This is completely clueless advice.  Without %c...%c, this does absolutely nothing.  Other than plain ignorance, I cannot understand why the author would make a point to tell people to check this setting.

I urge you to consult our wiki, unlike any other guide you will find on the web, this one is peer-reviewed and maintained by an open community, rather than by a single individual (or cabal) who may or may not know what he is doing.  Since it was mentioned, I would also avoid pinned topics that serve as guides here for exactly the same reason.  We are trying to move away from them in favor of our wiki.

Reply #6
Thanks for the help everyone.  After looking at the wiki, things make much more sense.  The only other question I have involves converting the flac files to mp3 so I can play them on my ipod/phone.  Is dbpoweramp the bst solution for doing this?

Reply #7
CaseyJ70, did you check the REACT link in my last post? You know, it does encode both FLAC & Mp3 for you in one rip/action.

Reply #8
Is dbpoweramp the bst solution for doing this?

Considering that this is an extremely simple task and dbpoweramp costs money to convert to mp3 I say the answer is a clear-cut no.

Try LameDropXPd or foobar2000.

Reply #9
Is dbpoweramp the bst solution for doing this?

Considering that this is an extremely simple task and dbpoweramp costs money to convert to mp3 I say the answer is a clear-cut no.

Try LameDropXPd or foobar2000.

i do the same thing as you and use foobar2000 for the flac-mp3 conversion

Reply #10
I actually pipe the output from flac.exe into lame.exe at the command line using a batch script that I wrote.

Someday I'll get around to incorporating GeorgeFP's solution.