Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP4 (MPEG-4) player, MP4 AAC audio WinAmp plugin and MP4crea (Read 23787 times) previous topic - next topic

MP4 (MPEG-4) player, MP4 AAC audio WinAmp plugin and MP4crea

Reply #25
Originally posted by JohnV
Menno, in collaboration with MPEG4IP-project, has created MP4 player capable of playing MPEG-4 compatible audio&video streams. It's currently the most compatible ISO MPEG-4 audio&video player. Menno has also released WinAmp plugin capable of playing MP4 AAC audio streams. Winamp plugin will play audio part of compatible MP4 audio&video streams or pure MP4 audio streams.
MP4Creator creates ISO MPEG-4 (MP4) streams from (AAC) and/or video (MP4V,DIVX) compliant streams.

I thought VQF and AAC were going to be combined to create the MPEG-4 standard correct? Am I misunderstanding?

Reply #26
MPEG-4 standard supports AAC and TwinVQ as "general audio" profile - however, TwinVQ is not used anywhere in the "real world" as MPEG-4 profile..

Implementing a TwinVQ decoder would require MPEG-4 TwinVQ code (that is not hard to find) - but there is not a single MPEG-4 TwinVQ encoder available (except FhG MPEG-4 encoder that supports TwinVQ, but that encoder is in 'top-secret' state)

Also, MPEG-4 TwinVQ file format is different from .VQF format found on the Internet.

Reply #27
Originally posted by ChristianHJW
Hmmmm ..... now for those amongst us that are a bit slower, like i am  ..... if the powerdivx.com team ( means BlackSun  ) decided to have MPEG4 support for PowerDivX player ..... what about the licensing issue ?
I thought MPEG4 is a proprietary format ? Did i miss something ??

Well seems you are not getting any answers on this from anyone. So...

If you build MPEG-4 decoding within the PowerDivX Player you will be liable to pay MPEGLA a licensing fee for doing so. Further more MPEG-4 decoding must comply to a specific 'profile' or ye' shall feel thy wrath of MPEGLA for being a bad boy.

A work around is to allow the playback of MPEG-4 streams through a plugin in PowerDivX. Or for scientific purposes create a project on PowerDivX.com for a GPL MPEG-4 'simple profile' playback plugin and do not distribute the compiled binaries.

Sounds like XviD ;-) sorry Prof and -N ;-)
Dan "BetaBoy" Marlin
Founder CoreCodec
The Future of Audio/Video Development and Technology

Reply #28
Hi Dan,

thanks for your help on this ..... so should we just wait for the DivX Networks MPEG4 playback plugin    ??? To come when ??

Reply #29
What will be the use of MPEG-4 playback if we cant create some? i.e. someone answer me :-/

Reply #30
everwicked, I got it to work.

Well on Linux anyway. Just download the source from the project website and compile. Also comes with some tools to strip raw video and sound from avis. Don't know about muxing Ogg Vorbis though. Maybe you can figure that out.

Reply #31
Hm...i'll try compiling with cygwin and see what i come up with.

I'll get back to you ASAP.

Reply #32
A guy called TheMaxx just mailed me a set of MP4 tools that, according to him, works with DivX. I didn't test it though.

It's in my page. Programs -> Others -> Set of MPEG4 Tools.

Regards;

Roberto.

Obs: It's compiled with VS.Net so, if you have some problems regarding .Net components, mail me, and I'll contact TheMaxx. Maybe he can provide me the sources, then I'll compile it with VC6.

Edit: And, just to make everybody even happier, I'm adding latest Psytel AACenc, V. 2.11.
Ivan, does this version takes care of the slider issues in Winamp?

Reply #33
Yes, it does

Reply #35
Don't use Philips player! This thing is hardly compatible with itself - it can only read Philips .mp4 files, and it won't accept other files (including conformance MP4 files from the official MPEG FTP server)

Better thing is to use Envivio TV:

http://www.envivio.com/solutions/etv/

Current version (v1.0) is not able to read MP4 files with PsyTEL AAC streams, but upcoming version (v1.1) will be able to read them (I have beta version of the new player, and it works properly)

The best option is MPEG4IP's mp4player, because it reads Philips, Envivio, PsyTEL and many other files - too bad it doesn't have GUI. Someone really should integrate it into GUI player or make DirectShow filter out of it.

Reply #36
Where can I download a copy of the beta version of the Envivio player?  The MPEG4IP player looks so unattractive.

One more question, does anybody know how to use MP4CREATOR.  I have a raw divx file and an aac file encoded with FAAC and I downloaded mp4creator60.exe from http://www.inf.ufpr.br/~rja00/ .  I tried it and i kept getting an "atom size"-something error.  Can someone please help?