Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Resampler (Read 2999 times) previous topic - next topic

Resampler

Hi there,

Can anyone explain to me (in as simple a way as possible) what the difference is between the fast mode and normal mode with the resampler?

In 0.586 there is no difference in processor usage when it's on and when it's off (CPU between 1% and 5%). With the latest 0.6b4 with the resampler on fast mode it's around 1-5% with fast mode off it's around 15%. This is what I would have expected...

I tried to listen for a difference in quality. I think I can hear that the 'non' fast mode is slightly better quality. This might just be a placebo effect because I know it SHOULD sound better. What exactly should I be looking out for when listening for differences?

Thanks for any info.
Spadge

Resampler

Reply #1
I'm in the same boat as you, I'd love an answer.

Resampler

Reply #2
IIRC, the fast mode makes some compromises in the calculations to speed up processing: uses a shorter filter and lower stopband attenuation, and some other things I would have to look at.

I would have to perform some tests to see to what extent the quality decreases, I think not much in practice. So, I'd say the quality is still very high, and there are no audible consequences in practice.